Needles for hard vinyl

Which needles are y’all using for the harder vinyl?

1 Like

I’m using my usual needle, but also using the lamp to heat the vinyl. I used it on Emmy now I’m working on Marnie. I haven’t had a problem yet.

1 Like

These spiral needles are what I use for hard vinyl…like the ears of critters. Most critter ears are solid all the way through. But spiral needles go right through without breaking. Here are some examples of rooting ears with spiral needles.
https://www.gobabydollkits.com/Spiral-Rooting-Needles-40-Gauge-Reborn-Doll-Supplies-_p_306.html

16 Likes

Those are amazing!

1 Like

You do beautiful work! I love how that their eyes have a human quality to them!

Thank you. Lucian has beautiful resin eyes from @DM-HStudio. Benny has eyes from a taxidermy site. The taxidermy site has glass animal eyes as well as glass human looking eyes. The ones Benny has are the human ones.

2 Likes

I’m sure some of that has to do with the sculpt itself, but they are just gorgeous!

1 Like

So pretty! @Katinafleming

1 Like

Wow! They are beautiful! Thanks.

I did a lot of rooting an Layla Arcello last night and blew out my thumb. So painful I can’t use it to day. She has a rock hard head. When this heals I’m going to have to take her very slowly. Small portions at a time.

1 Like

Oh no …so sorry! I just ordered a kit today from McPherson’s and I sure hope she is not a hard head…

1 Like

Outstanding!!! I Love these ! I need one of thé first kit in my personnel collection. Which kit is that? Your rooting is amazing !!

1 Like

Thank you. That’s Benny the Minotaur by Jodie Lombardo. His preorder will start April 1. He really is a fabulous kit. He’s beautifully sculpted, a big baby, and soft, neutral vinyl.

1 Like

Ooh, taxidermy eyes! That’s a great idea.

1 Like