More pirated dolls!

Thanks, @YelenaRey and @anjsmiles for the encouragement :slight_smile:

I would personally consider you both professionals, but I see your point, Yelena.

And on top of all this, they are calling them ā€œreborn dollā€, and thatā€™s not what these are. This is NOT what reborn dolls are. These are just dolls, and with unique faces stolen from the original artists. And they just get away with it.

4 Likes

i buy authentic and feel bad for the artists/sculptors. im not a professional artist, i started as a collector and now paint dolls for myself (& my neices) as a hobby. so thatā€™s where im coming from:
i think that what will happen is that the mass produced dolls canā€™t be stopped at this point. money wins. people will buy them because of the price point. but i think there will still be a market for real reborns, hand made art dolls by talented artists sculpted by talented artists for adult collectors who appreciate the art and realism. i think the exposure of the mass produced dolls online will fade- they are like berenguer or ashton drake (although from stolen sculpts, which is the problem, i knowā€“) but they sell because of the low price. People who want true reborns ( i canā€™t think of a better term for what we know as real rebornsā€“) will still buy real reborns from artists, just itā€™s not going to be the majority of people, the time and talent it takes to make a really nice real reborn is reflected in the price, which is prohibitive for alot of people. itā€™s art. itā€™s expensive.
i feel bad watching what is happening and iā€™m not on social media to see the worst of it. iā€™ve never been on those discount sites, but i see it on ebay, yt and amazon and in any search for reborn dolls etc.
i think there will be a time of smaller edition artist sculpted kits again, similar to how it is with silicone at present. and collectors will want them because they arenā€™t the mass produced or stolen sculpts. and because they are one of a kind, hand made art. the feeling of missing out on SOLE kits is real, so is wanting an artist-made truly beautiful doll and i think that as a collector that will always be true for those who can afford it.

1 Like

Almost 2 years ago I started calling mine ā€œartborn baby dollsā€. Itā€™s in the full title of my nursery. They are born out of art, to look like real babies. SO, thatā€™s a term I use. Iā€™ve even used it in my eBay auctions. although I rarely sell there now that the fakes have overtaken and sales of authentics has dropped like a rock.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a great name!

2 Likes

I LOVE that!
I adore when @Nikkiroc changed hers to Artborn Nursery. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Needless to say that i miss her SO MUCH!

2 Likes

Would you be offended if I started using that as well?

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t be offended at all. Nikki and I had talked about it a few years back. I searched to see if the term ā€œartborn dollā€ was trademarked and it wasnā€™t. Hopefully it canā€™t be trademarked. I have hoped that more artists would use it and it would catch on. I believe it reflects our artform better than the old name reborn.

5 Likes

Agreed!

3 Likes

Where did Nikki go, anyway? I miss her.

2 Likes

Health issues and relocation pulled her away from us. :heart:

2 Likes

About a year ago, she said she was really busy helping her husband with his business, too. Really no time to paint. :frowning:

I see I am not the only one who didnā€™t know. I miss her fun spirit!

1 Like

I think she left himā€¦

3 Likes

She finally left him??? I hope she is doing well!

1 Like

I hope so.

2 Likes

He was terrible to her. I remember the time she had an abscessed tooth and he refused to take her to an emergency denstist, and the time she sat alone in the waiting room at the hospital having a miscarriage all alone. No one deserves that.

1 Like

I miss Nikki as well, but perhaps we shouldnā€™t be airing her laundry on the forums.

8 Likes

I agree. She added a lot to this forum.

1 Like

Yes. And she has such a fun sense of humor to boot. Maybe one day sheā€™ll be back.