Mona Lisa Thinner Smell?

Has anyone else noticed a strong chemical smell that started coming from your Mona Lisa thinner after it was a few years old?

No not at all

1 Like

I put mine in large plastic Yorker bottles ( think that’s what they’re called) and use them to pour thinner into paint wells. And I have noticed that the Mona Lisa in the bottle I’m using has a strong, chemical smell. Never had this happen before.

1 Like

The very first time I bought it I bought the smallest container. After that I started buying the huge jugs and I just fill up my small container to have on my paint table So it is always in one of the original Mona Lisa containers. Maybe it does make a difference?

1 Like

I do that, too. I buy the gallon jugs when on sale at Michaels. I purchased one a year ago after forgetting that I already had an unopened one in the basement. So, I have two and am wondering if one has gone bad since it sat on the shelf for a while before I used up the other one. I’ve had it sit around for a while in the past and never noticed a smell develop.

1 Like

Yes I’ve never noticed a smell either. Mine is well over a year old could even be two years. Is it possible it was contaminated with something? Like a bit of paint, something it could have reacted with while sitting?

1 Like

Is it still effective?

Could it possibly be damaging the bottle from the inside? Does the stuff in the original bottle smell as well?

2 Likes

The W&N thinner and brush cleaner can dissolve it’s own bottle seal.

1 Like

I don’t think so. It was sealed the whole time stored.

It seems to be working fine; it’s just the smell is starting to bother me a bit.

Not sure. When I moved I think I may have emptied the last of that jug into the two Yorker bottles I hold it in for painting. Hopefully this bottle is the last of that jug. Won’t know for sure until we get to our new house and can unpack. I will definitely see if it has a smell if I still do have it. I did find the second gallon jug and it is still sealed, so just have to find out if I still have the open jug.

I’m wondering if the Mona Lisa is possibly acting on the Yorker squeeze bottles that I store it in for painting. Those bottles make it easy to pour paint into the wells of the pallet for mixing paints. Been using these kind of bottles for about three years without issue until now. Puzzling. The only other thinner I once used that took on this kind of stink was Sansodor brand. It began to stink so bad in the squeeze bottle, and turned yellow in the bottle over time, that I had to throw it out. It gave me the worst headaches.

2 Likes