Mohair binge

Just spent way too much money on Mohair. I have been waiting to try Karman hair from Russia and decided to give myself a Christmas present. I know it takes forever to get here so I did a big order.

I don’t usually root a whole head because I am happy to top root and enjoy it. I am also not a great rooter, no patience at all. This year though I plan to get my rooting game on. I will never be a perfect micro rooter but I hope I can improve enough to root a whole head and feel good about it.

What is your favorite needle? I tend to root fine hair, I am going to try some alpaca also.

5 Likes

I’m waiting on the same mohair from Russia. I have no idea when I’ll receive it lol. But I’ve been doing a little practicing with the pink needles 42 from macphersons. I think I need a ton more practice. I have Sam that is in final stages but I don’t want to ruin him.

1 Like

I am totally painting Sam after the new year. I think I have a handful of Realborns to paint and then I am on to my little hoarded stack of babies I have been saving. I will check out the pink.

I have multi barb 43’s some crowns and some forks. I usually use a 42 single barb but if I am doing a whole head it will be Christmas again before I get a baby rooted.

2 Likes

lol for sure!! I’m so slow at it and on top of that I can’t sit for long periods because I get bored and my neck hurts :joy:. I’m very impatient with it. I don’t like one hair at a time. It just never ends. Sam is so adorable isn’t he?

1 Like

How do you like the forked needles? Do you have to root holding it straight up and down? Or angled?

1 Like

My needle of choice is a 43g single barb. I want to try to learn to root a bit thicker this coming year so maybe I’ll have to try a 3 barb needle. More hair per hole but NOT pluggy looking.

3 Likes

Waiting on her hair is a slow process but worth it. I put in an order on the 2nd. She shipped it on the 17th and as of the 24th it’s still being processed through Russian facility. I have been putting in an order every month or 2 just to slowly stockpile what I like the best.

1 Like

I have yet to use the forked or crown needles, not even sure how, I think I have had the needles a couple years and never tried.

1 Like

I keep breaking 43’s especially on that rock hard German vinyl. One good thing about most BB babies, the vinyl is pretty soft.

1 Like

I know what you mean Gina. I hate German vinyl, the color sucks and the heads are like a ROCK. I’m the worst ‘neutralizer’ in the universe, I don’t know how others do it, it just NEVER works for me. Any pointers???

1 Like

Five layers of baby skin and titanium wash, then you have a ghost but the possibilities are endless. Someone sent me one of those old vinyl purply sculpts, no idea what to do with that mess but I will think of something, halloween is only 10 months away!

2 Likes

Yep, get right on that Halloween baby—you can DO IT!!

1 Like

I think 2 hairs look fine. Even with magnifying I can’t see well so my rooting is as best as I can see :sweat_smile::woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Gina what do you mean layers versus a wash?
Did you also mean baby skin wash? It’s late here so please forgive me :joy:

I think what she meant was: 5 wash layers consisting of: Baby skin and Titanium white mixed. That’s what I THINK, could be wrong.

1 Like

Yes. Baby skin color paint combined with titanium white paint.

1 Like

Thank you both. :blush:

I like the forked needles. Have never had one break. You do have to hold it just right for the grove to catch the hair. I just mark the top of the rooting tool and use it for my guide.

Thank you for sharing. It’s holding it just right that I have troubles with :slight_smile:

I use 42g forked needle. They rarely break. I don’t know why but it is the only needle I am comfortable using.