Matte varnish for airdry

I recently started using Folk Art glass and tile medium for my matte varnish and I love love love this stuff!!! I love feel and I love the result.
Someone on here was asking about Liquitex as a matte varnish, I can not remember who that was but I hope you see this post. I was using Liquitex, but this product is 100 times better.
I use Luminaire Ary dry paint and I love them but was thinking about trying something else because I could not completely knock out the shine. It was OK, but I wanted zero shine and I couldn’t seem to get the baby where I wanted it. I tried this glass and tile medium on a whim, and boy what a difference!!! No shine at all. It also seems to make the color pop. I can’t explain it. It looks and feels like real skin. I can not recommend it enough to my fellow air dry acrylic users.

7 Likes

Do you dilute it?

Nope, just use a wedge and dab it on thin.

1 Like

I’ve heard that product can take the paint off if it isn’t diluted. I’m glad it worked well for you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really don’t like that stuff haha. Glad it worked for you! Maybe I’m just not using it right.

1 Like

That’s what I thought… @jeanhai

1 Like

Didn’t take any paint off at all. You gotta just pounce a thin layer. So far I have done 3 with it and I haven’t had any problems. The one video I watched said to pounce it on then take a dry wedge behind it and pounce till dry. When I did that, I did get a rough spot which I rubbed out and then fixed. Now, I just pounce a thin layer and it works perfect. Once it’s on and starting to look like it’s drying you have to leave it alone. I’m not sure if it would work with GHS paint, but it works great for my Luminaire.

2 Likes

BTW, you have to change wedges often. I use 1 or 2 per limb.

4 Likes

I LOVE it too! It’s my favorite ultra matte sealer.

2 Likes

The only time it will take paint off is if you wipe, or smear, instead of pouncing, while its still wet. You don’t want any side to side motions…

3 Likes

I use it too. I always dilute though (50/50) and yes, you have to use a lot of wedges and make sure it’s thin. When I first starting using it, I did it full strength right out of the bottle and it lifted a little color as I was pouncing the heck out of it. Plus it was sort of rough and hard to get even. Since I switched how I use it, I love it. I haven’t seen any problems with it yet as far as peeling or cracking or anything like that. I have a doll sitting her that was sealed with it that my daughter plays with daily and I made her about a year ago. She still looks great and I check her frequently to see how she is holding up.

5 Likes

Great to know thanks.

I never thought to thin it, maybe I’ll try. Is it still as matte if you thin it? So far, I apply it really thin and it feels silky smooth. Love it.

1 Like

I have been using it for the last 4-5 reborns I have done and I think it works great. I followed Debbie Henshaw’s instructions on how to apply it and I have had no problems with the paint lifting.

4 Likes

This is a great product and I use it often to prime kits that are not taking paint well. If you over pounce it then it will go grainy on you so you have to use a light touch and just pounce it until it is starting to look dry. I do cut it with a little water if using it as a primer but use it full strength if for a touch up on fingers and toes etc. against shine.

2 Likes