Looking for some advice! (Realism!)

Hi, friends! I’m looking for a little advice/constructive criticism. (I’m not easily offended, so no worries!) I’ve been doing Reborns if for about 4ish years at this point. But I feel like no matter what I do, or what I change in my process, the results are always the same- VERY DOLLY, and lacking realism. :pensive: I usually work with genesis. I should mention that before I did Reborns, I was very much into giving American Girls new life, (did that for about a decade) and I feel like maybe that’s the reason I just can’t get past this! Attached are a few pictures of the last couple of Reborns I did for reference. Thank you in advance!

9 Likes

So, overall the skin tone is nice and the creases are clean. If you want to up the realism then you need to include stronger blues and purples in the undertones. The edges of the nose and the inside corners of the eyes and the corners of the mouth are great places to start Ampang up your blue shading. I can tell were you did work on this with your last couple of dolls and they are starting to look much more realistic.

The biggest thing to remember is that real babies are not perfect. Professional photography of babies will often show them with perfectly even, glowing skin. Real babies are blotchy and may have little scratches or zits even. Once you felt feel like you’ve built up your undertones good enough, then I would work on blushing that is a little more varied. Blush and multiple layers to create depth and give your baby a little hint of planned asymmetry

10 Likes

I suggest a little heavier mottling, blue undertones, more blushing, (especially on palms and soles of feet) eyebrows and eyelashes.

6 Likes

Without knowing how you paint I would say it looks a little thick.

When I paint with GHSP it is always see through. I do my creases first then my nostrils, ear holes, inner mouth with a purplish color. I do multiple mottles. Reds, blues, purples, yellow (lightly). Then blue undertones on the temples, bridge of nose, under the nose… Then a wash of burnt umber. If I dont want a orangish tint I will add a touch of blue to it. I keep everything thin and do not use any of the flesh color paints.

4 Likes

Thank you! You’re right, I do use various flesh colors throughout the process, and it may be a lot of the cause of such a thick/dollyish outcome. :thinking: I think I’ll give it a go without utilizing the flesh tones so much! I actually always start with 3-4 layers of flesh before doing anything else. Very good advice! :heart:

2 Likes

I usually don’t bother too much with rooting these days. :sweat_smile: I got arthritis to the max, and honestly with the price point I sell at, (around $250-$280 for a baldy) it’s not worth the effort and pain. Kind of reflects why I don’t bother doing eyebrows much either, feels kind of off putting to see a baby with eyebrows but no head hair. But I definitely think it’s time to amp up the undertones!

1 Like

I use wispy applied lashes from BB on all my open eyed babies. I think sleeping newborns can get away with no eyelashes but I think older babies and open eyed ones need them to look most realistic. JMO

3 Likes

Yes i think if you get rid of the flesh tone paint and just use thin washes of the primary colors you will get a much more realistic result!

3 Likes

You all are making me realize how scared I am of blue! :joy: But that’s a good thing! I’m just having horrible flash backs of my first couple of babies that were… very blue, with super terrible veins. I can’t be the only one who had to trash their first couple of babies. Time to get over that fear though!

2 Likes

For undertones, use very thin blue washes. I use a periwinkle blue that I mix myself for veins. I also practiced veins a lot on test parts.

3 Likes

I agree that they do look a little “dolly”, no where near the worst I’ve seen though! I think your flesh looks a bit thick, and overall a lot of details that make reborns look more realistic are missing. My suggestions would be mottling, undertones, more blushing, less harsh looking creases on hands. Eyes can do a lot for a baby, some capillaries, purples, blues, reds, etc… will make a huge difference. Eyelashes! Eyebrows, if you can’t do brows even just pouncing a bit of light color at brow line will give an illusion of light baby brows. Don’t be afraid to try! I also do almost all light skin babies and I think it’s really important to remember pale babies don’t mean lack of depth. I personally do not do any flesh layers, I don’t do any prior to painting as the kits I paint are already almost white and a great base, adding flesh underneath just makes the final product look thicker to me. I do all my veining, mottling, etc … finished with several light mottles of blue, red and yellows until I get the skin tone I want, and than sometimes do a final wash to bring everything together. I know my method doesn’t work for everyone, but it helps me achieve a decent level of realism for pale babies without them looking like they have one light skin color painted all over. I would just say don’t be afraid to experiment and make sure you keep your layers light and build off of them instead of one cover up. I hope my suggestions are helpful and I look forward to watching your progress!

2 Likes

Have you ever tried painting a little wispy hair?

1 Like

I can prisma hair for things like eyebrows, but when I try to do a whole head it just amplifies the dolly look by 1,000. :pensive: I’ll be honest, when I tried actually painting hair a couple of times it was absolutely disastrous. I know I could probably pick it up if I really put my mind to it and practice a ton, but I feel I’m just really lacking the artistic talent for painted head hair.

I second what Peachtree and Jeanhai said. Nice skin tones but you need more depth and skin layering that comes from blue undertones and various color mottling. These things will make your work pop.

2 Likes

I understand. My first doll was so blue I threw her away. Use blue lightly and apply it in layers between other layers as needed. Someone gave me that tip when I was a new artist and it really saved me from quitting reborning.

2 Likes

I agree with the ladies above! Your babies are really not bad. Even just adding a layer or so of mottling and blush would help a lot.

3 Likes

It just kinda makes sense to use flesh, doesn’t it? I know it did to me way back. I am in no place to give any advice, but, why have flesh if we are not supposed to use it? But, the pros say no, and also some of the pros say no white or black. I know some use it and I don’t really have an opinion on that. Looking forward to seeing your babies coming along. I guess maybe my 2nd or 3rd baby, I took to a Nurse Practitioner that I see. She cuddled him and liked him, but she said he is so cyanotic! Just like a nurse to notice that, hunh? We had a good laugh.

2 Likes

Here’s a great visual originally posted by @kristinj that shows where to place the undertones and what colors to use where.

5 Likes

I agree with all the advice given above. In MY opinion babies aren’t really “bald” they usually have a little bit of fine hair or fuzz of some type. My daughter was really lacking any hair at birth but she had very fine really short blonde hair all over her head and had a definite hair line. Your babies also need Eyebrows and lashes----these things will begin to give your babies the “realism” that you are looking for. I understand it is hard to do the things we don’t feel we can do well but you have to start trying!! If you don’t try-----you’ll never achieve the “look” you so desperately want. We all struggle with certain aspects of reborning but ask for advice and then apply it, we have SO many GREAT reborners here that didn’t think they could do it either!! By continuing to “Work” at this hobby, take advice and go forward YOU too will become a great reborner. If you just continue doing what you do all the time, you won’t improve. I have see women on here struggle so hard with certain parts of this hobby and one day it all comes together for them and “Viola” A beautiful baby is Born!!! Don’t give up, keep working at it, you’ll get there!!

6 Likes