Looking for new Acrylic paint

OK so although a beginner I want to use a second air dry paint to compare quality.

I would love to try Reborn Fx but I am in Europe so I was looking at Miracle Blend or Jo Sonja.

Have any of you had good experiences with either or have other suggestions that I could order from Europe.

Thanks In advance :kissing_heart:

1 Like

I use Miracle Blend and I love it! Here’s some of my recent work

5 Likes

Thanks @Summer
Your babies are beautiful

Do you have any negatives about the miracle blend and have you only ever used miracle.blend :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really don’t have any negatives personally. I have heard some say they get a sticky feel to their paint however, I have never had this problem! I’ve also heard complaints of a shiny finish but, as you can see my babies are not shiny. I do add a matting agent to my paint and varnish to prevent shine. I either use Liquitex Ultra Matte Gel or Baby FX Matting Powder. Miracle Blend has a blog you may find informative. You will find Q&A if you scroll to the bottom of the page

http://www.doll-fan.com/viewtopic.php?t=343459

I do not care for the MB tutorials on YouTube with Shelley Doupe. The paint mixture is too thick and pigmented imo…
This is a good base to follow

I have tried a couple other air dry paints but, I like MB best. I do have a little bit of Baby FX but, I haven’t had a chance to try it yet.
I’ve also heard great reviews on the new Reborn FX Paints @MacPhersonCrafts carries. Here’s their link
RebornFX

1 Like

I have used both the Jo Sonja’s and Miracle Blend. I haven’t used the Jo Sonja’s in a long time, but it is a good paint. Just make sure the colors you get have a light-fastness of 1 or 2. Miracle Blend are premixed colors and would be easier to use if you are not used to mixing your own skin tone colors. Also there seems to be more artists that are using it and you will probably get more input on how to use it.

Jo Sonja’s

Miracle Blend

5 Likes

@Summer I’ve just tried finding miracle blend and cam only find one stockist in Europe that’s depressing.
The prices look super expensive unless I take the trial set.
Do you find it expensive or only buy certain colours?

1 Like

@rainbow thanks for the advice.
I wonder why Jo Sonja is not as popular now as it looks reasonably priced.

I bought the entire 32 color set of full size bottles from Lara Anatoucci for either $240 or $340 :thinking: I remember it was a great price! I got several thinning mediums and some other duplicates as well. It was costly upfront but, it doesn’t take much paint. They will last me a very long time!

I use baby fx. I love it!! I use folk art glass and tile as a primer and sealer and it wipes away all shine

2 Likes

@MoonlitNightNursery amazing babies you are very talented.
I thought BabyFX has been discontinued?

1 Like

I have to say that the scary look of the moonlight nursery babies has scared this baby from I’m a new soul. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It has, which makes me so sad. I want to try reborn fx and see if it’s anything like baby fx.

In my opinion it is not as popular because some have confused it with craft grade paints which is a big no no for reborns/vinyl. Jo Sonja is a professional grade paint that is flexible (can be painted on any surface), has been tested for light-fastness (will not fade over a very long period of time) and has been tested for toxic safety. Craft grade paints do not have these qualities.
Also the premixed paints like Miracle Blend is easier to use because they are already premixed for you. It just depends on what you are looking for and what is going to suit you the best.

2 Likes

Thanks @rainbow.
Something to think about.
I would love to see some recent positive Jo Sonja photos.
My only options near my location seem to be Miracle Blend or Jo Sonja. Ideally I would love Reborn Fx waiting to hear back from Macphersons regarding international delivery charges.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice @Ady but that is what I am using now lol as a beginner, wanting to compare to another brand to make sure all my problems are my own and not the paint…

1 Like

@Summer I can’t invest in full is there any colours you find you don’t use to much so I can save some money lol

1 Like

It really depends on the skin tone you want to achieve. Some of my go to colors are Rouge Red, Ultramarine Blue, Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber, Yellow Ochre, Base Skin, Tan Skin

You can always get the 3 basic colors and mix your own colors. Definitely get Thinning Medium & I love their thick medium too! I don’t use their varnish. I use DecoArt Soft Touch Varnish

@MoonlitNightNursery I love your babies. That is my favorite Saskia!!!

1 Like

Thank you so very much!!!

Hahahahaha