Lips too red

I painted my silicones lips too red. Any suggestions on how I may town them down? I tried green, but that was terrible.

Put a few thin layers of flesh over them. Or, you can strip them with a Q-tip (toothpick for the edges) and repaint them.

Can you strip silicone?

1 Like

I don’t think so. I am painting on silicone.

2 Likes

It would help to see a photo of it to know how much too much you are talking about.

To remove silicone you would use some Novocs and rub it onto the silicone and then wet sand it off using a very small grit sandpaper cut to the size you need with some Novocs on it. It is not really something you want to do unless you have to but it can be done. You just have to be super careful not to damage any of the silicone of the lips nor the area around it. For this reason it would be a last resort for me.

I would try to color correct it if possible. It is true that using a translucent mint flesh, applied in one or two layers will tone it down some. Glossing the lips will help to offset any opaque tone you acquire using this method. I would mix up an apple green type color and then add a tiny speck of flesh or Zinc white to it to help mute the red. I would stipple it on thinly with your brush tip so as not to do a blanket of thick color. You may not be able to get the red as subtle as you preferred but sometimes accepting things as they are is the best solution.

3 Likes

You are very clever. I will try this. Thank you for your time in helping others.

2 Likes