Joining the Baby FX Air Dry Crowd

I have been following all of the 'Switching to Air Dry" posts for a while and I just ordered the Full Size Baby FX set from DALD. I really appreciate all of the questions and advice that you ladies have been sharing. It’s so wonderful to come to this forum and get so much great information and encouragement. I’m so impressed with @honojane and @MichelleP20 and their newest air dry babies. It’s really fun to share successes with all of you gals.

I can’t wait to get started with my new air dry paints. I really hope this will allow me more time with my new hobby. I keep taking breaks due to extreme weather for baking outside and just get out of the reborn vibe. Hopefully, this will allow me to be more consistent with painting and completing dolls so I can improve my skills.

Yippee! I’m so excited!

9 Likes

I suspect you will love them. I am sure enjoying mine.

2 Likes

I think I am switching from air dry to Baby FX. Do you recommend it? Is there anything I should know?

1 Like

I have been following some of the recent threads on the air dry paints and gleaning information that way. I can’t offer any sage advice, other than to do a search on Baby FX or air dry and read through some of the questions and answers.

2 Likes

Woo hoo! you will have so much fun!

1 Like

I LOOOOOOVVVVEEEE my Baby FX paints.

I just tried these on a baby and had trouble sealing them. The paint rubbed right off when I went to dress the baby. Do you know why that would happen?

Wow! I’ve never had that happen but here are a few things you might consider.
Did you use all new brushes for your painting? If you used brushes previously used with GHSP that could be part of the problem.
How did you prep the vinyl? Did you use alcohol? Did your detergent have any moisturizers in it?
Did you use a base coat? If so, what kind did you use?
How long did you wait after finished painting before you applied the sealer? I usually wait 72 hours.
What kind of sealer did you use? I always use the Baby FX Shine Remover and Final Sealer combination.

That’s all I’ve got. Hope you find the problem.

2 Likes

I used new brushes and dawn to wash the kit. I did not prep the kit with anything - I just did the " base coat" like the directions said with the baby fx ( skin tone and slow dry with no water). I sealed with the sure bond/ matting powder combo that the directions called for. Is the sealer combo you use different from that one?

2 Likes

Also - I did not wait 72 hours to seal - so maybe that was The problem. I only waited about 24 hours. :frowning: I stripped it and am going to try again so thanks for any and all help with these. I’m finding them a bit harder than the genesis but I was trying to get away from baking.

2 Likes

Make sure the Dawn you use is not the one with the Hand Renewal Olay moisturizer added. I use Ajax to clean mine.
The sealer I use is a combination of 2 parts Shine Remover to 1 part Final Sealer. Also, if my vinyl is really smooth or has slick spots, I will use the Ultra Matt for a primer.

1 Like

Ok I will have to buy that sealer - I just bought the intro kit and it didn’t come with that :frowning:

The Sure Bond mixed with the loose matting powder has replaced the original Sealer combo in the intro kit. Melissa recommends sealing the paints with Sure Bond now but I think she still sells the other sealer combo at least for now.

If you used all Slow Dry and paint in your layers or a lot of Slow Dry then the cure time for your pieces was not long enough. Melissa recommends to use some Sure Bond in the mix when using a lot of slow dry in all your layers. I would also suggest when using a lot of Slow Dry in the mix to wait a week before sealing and do a small wet qtip test first.

1 Like

I used the amounts that it says in the directions - is that considered alot? I have never used it before this so I’m not sure :frowning:

Wow! My order processed at 8:00 pm my time. I didn’t expect anything to happen until tomorrow. I also got a $6.50 refund on shipping, like someone else mentioned in another thread. I wonder if the shipping calculator on DALD’S sight assumes the heaviest items might be shipped and then when she knows exactly what is in the order, she can adjust it. That way she won’t be under charging shipping ever. Regardless, she seemed to have the best prices to begin with.

I may have my paints by this weekend. So excited!!!

1 Like

yes, she will refund you the shipping overage. She has refunded me something on every order I have made and that has been several orders. Just give her some time as I know she has been moving.

My birthday was a few days ago but I couldn’t decide whether to get those or another kit. Leaning towards the paints. I really really miss air dry! I may combine the Genesis and air dry still like I did for a while. I love that I can use air dry on days I don’t feel good while lying down. And that it is so much faster.

1 Like

I’m excited about the “so much faster” part. I can carve out time here and there to work on babies, but it is so cumbersome to set everything up, paint, drag out the oven, bake and then put everything away - just to do it all again the next evening. My painting station is in the corner of the family room and doesn’t need to be “put away” every day. I like the idea of just painting and letting them dry overnight and then coming back the next evening and doing another layer! Or, if I have a few hours on the weekend, do the blow dryer thing and keep on painting!

1 Like