Is this correct for heating Genesis?

What kind of heat gun to search for as i cannot find a basic one they look industrial or for embossing ?

1 Like

I have never used a heat gun. I would melt something. lol

I have used an oven like that though and I prefer it. Make sure there is a thermometer inside at all times and use an extra timer. My oven was about 30° off from what the thermometer read and what the dial was set on

2 Likes

Thanks hun❤ i know nothing about Genesis but decided to finally take the plunge.

1 Like

I ordered 1 very similar to this. It should be delivered today. I’m at work right now. Ive seen people use these without the extender ring. Do you use the extender ring?

1 Like

I ALWAYS use the extender ring no matter the size of the kit

4 Likes

Yes, that is good, and as others said always use the ring, do not use the metal rings, just piece of thick cotton on the bottom. I use soft hand towel.

OOOOOPS Meant do not use the racks!!!

I think you mean the metal racks?

1 Like

I only use a heat gun. Melted a kit in oven once and that was it. I can tell how my part is drying and if it is hot enough. Do need to be careful. You can easily over heat and the vinyl will become shiny.

1 Like

1 Like

Thank you @ludmila i wouldnt have thought to remove the metal racks :heart:

Thank you @342jda Do you recommend a certain heat gun ?
Do you get the same smell and do you use a face mask ?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wagner-0503008-Ht1000-1-200-Watt-Heat-Gun/889954805
Never noticed a smell. It was the thinner that had the smell. If you choose this get some practice parts. You need to know how far away to keep the gun and how long to heat. You can melt if not careful. Used BB heat gun but it quit within the year. Have had the wagner for 5 years. BB is good if you are only using for touch ups.

1 Like

Thank you i was thinking of getting both oven and gun to see how i get on x

I melted a head using a heat gun trying to fix an eyebrow once. I haven’t used it since. :confused:

@CindyLouWho :thinking::open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth: oh no that makes me nervous x

Make sure not to get it too close and keep it moving and not in the same spot

1 Like

I can’t imagine that!! I have to know what temperature I’m using. :flushed:

1 Like

I can only find 2000w wagner over here . W2hat do you think of this one for the time being?

200 -300Celsius = 392 - 572 Fahrenheit
As long as you are very careful and work out the distance it will not burn or melt your kit. I know there were people in the past who only used the guns, but it is so easy to overheat some area and not set enough another.
I have a heat gun, it only took seconds when I accidentally came to close for the vinyl to start to singe; fortunately it was when I was blowing the heat into the head and the damaged part was the edge of the flange. I still sometimes use the gun when I want to quickly set a little detail and want to paint more, but in the end I always give the doll proper time in the oven.

2 Likes

Thanks @ludmila i appreciate the information i think i will order the oven x

1 Like