Is it worth me just buying a kit to paint it like a factory painted doll and keep it for my own collection

Hi I’m not a very confident reborn artist as my work is not very good so I was wondering. Would it be a good idea to buy a doll kit paint it like a factory painted doll e.g the lips eyebrows blushing only. And keep them bald because I dont like my work. Or is this a bad idea?

1 Like

Keep working at your work. Don’t serve to put yourself down. I just finished my first one and I def don’t like everything about it, but I literally don’t have the experience yet to make awesome ones. Maybe you can buy a cheap one to paint and repaint to grow your skill!

2 Likes

I feel like not all doll kits need to end up looking like a realistic reborn. Nothing wrong with just painting some basic details. Esp if it is just for yourself and you aren’t trying to make money from it. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Omgoodness you can paint them however you like! They don’t need to meet any standards but your own!

7 Likes

It’s a good idea and could help build your confidence.

1 Like

You’ll NEVER learn if you don’t try!! Get a cheap kit and give it a go----you might just surprise yourself. Very few people begin reborning and make great beginning babies. Practice is what gets us all to our eventual end-----a nice reborn baby. My only input would be to Use Artist grade paint (whether air dry or genesis) and take your time, you need a lot of patience and perseverance to begin to master this hobby! Good Luck, never give up!!

1 Like

My first try was a 10" boy from Berenger. He was pre-painted and I added some veining and slight mottling and creases. I also added Polyfil, weighted glass beads and a diddy (diaper). I love him!

My 2nd was Binki, the laughing orangutan, She turned out so great I bought some vinyl kits to try a ‘real’ reborn baby. I’m 53 and we never had children. But I messed my first one up really badly. But I’ll get it. I’m going to try until I have a beautiful girl (preferably) reborn doll to cuddle with. In the meantime I’ll continue to carry Timmy (the small boy) and Maya (orangutan) around the house with me. Oh, but I’m soooooo tempted to put Maya in a baby sling and take her out in public! :laughing:

2 Likes

I have a Bindi, the one with the closed mouth… My Dad wants me to go out in public with it for reactions! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

I ordered a prepainted/rooted Bindi a couple weeks ago when he was the Kit of the Day. He’s going to be Maya’s twin brother. His paint job needs some help, I’m going to add some details and more hair to make him look more like Maya.

1 Like

You can paint reborns however you like! If you want a more dolly look, go for it!

1 Like

You could try one of the BB Kinby prepainted kits. I like the one that looks like June.

1 Like