Interesting info on air dry paints by LIllian Trigg

Sitting around googling color mixing for air dry paints today and I ran across this tutorial by Lilian Trigg

http://www.lilliantrigg.com/newborning/airpaint_tut.html

and she sells these paints: Lillian Trigg -  Air Dry Paints & Varnishes

I have no idea what she is mixing them up from but I am seeing more and more individuals doing this it seems. They figure out what to mix up to make artist grade acrylics work and then sell their mixes. Once again makes me think I can make my own mixes.

6 Likes

I use Liquitex Professional Soft Body paints and mix my own colors all the time. I mix a little Liquitex Ultra Matte Gel in with the paints and seal with Americana Soft Body Varnish.

6 Likes

what colors do you use if you wouldnt mind sharing. This might be something i will look into, but dont even know what colors to start with

1 Like

I bought a box of 6 basic colors-red, yellow, blue, green, black and white. Iñ addition i bought burnt umber and a deep red that I use for mottling. I can’t remember the name of it because I’m away for the holiday but I can PM it to you when I get home if you want me to.

1 Like

There are several articles online and even youtube videos on how to mix your own acrylic paints from dry pigments. If this is something you are interested in doing I say go for it.

1 Like

I am not looking to mix from dry pigments. Just mix color shades from professional artist grade acrylics along with mediums to make a paint that works well on vinyl.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t that be awesome? You are inspiring me to want to do this as well!

@jeanhai Thanks for sharing the colors you got. I would like to know what other colors to order as I will be ordering some more next week.

Combinations of these colors give me all the colors I need.

2 Likes

I have used her paints and feel they are probably like mentioned before and I am hoping good quality artist grade acrylics for fade resistance.

My first baby painted with Lillian Trigg’s paint.

The mediums that go with the paint smell familiar to the ones from Golden which I use in potrait painting so I guess also very similar to what has been mentioned in the other discussion about air dry paint (Matt medium gel and acrylic glazing liquid).
Another thought maybe not discussed before is for sealing and binding the paints to the the kit Is maybe Gac-100.
If it would I help I could maybe show how to mix any colour from primary colours because that and white may be all you need to achieve any colour you want or need for your baby. Let me know and I will go figure a way for you.
My next kit is now prepared and painted with Golden acrylics mixed with the mediums and water. I opted out of the fluid ones as they more difficult to mix from just primary colours. I guess this will keep the cost down and save you a lot of pennies in the long run.
I hope this helps a little and I hope I am not standing on any bodies toes.

2 Likes

Excuse the photo quality it’s dark in th UK

Good info @Manopoupee

1 Like

I think this is the direction I am going to take. If I can mix my own Genesis colors I should be able to mix the acrylics.

2 Likes

I have the Golden liquid acrylics. I need to try this out on an inexpensive kit. Your doll in the picture is lovely. Thank you for sharing your technique. It is wonderful to see artists sharing.

2 Likes

If we all try this together we can probably figure it out.

1 Like

What is the consistency of the paint you are using now? I think the thicker the paint is to start with the more control we have on the outcome of the colour while mixing. I would love to work with the oil based paints and thinners but I am wanting things to dry fast but you may convince me to try something different.

I have been using Genesis since 2008. I used to thin it with Mona Lisa paint thinner and paint in very thin layers but it took me forever to finish a doll so now I use the Genesis thinner and a little OT to thin it and it seems to work better. I’m just getting tired of baking in the oven all the time. Would like to try the acrylics instead.

2 Likes

@gail I think reading about that exact long process you are describing put me of genises and opting for air drying paints. I am looking forward to learning from you and others. I am only just finishing my first doll and starting my second. I think I am addicted but painting on canvas is much easier stil😜

1 Like

*genesis

Uploading…

Easier painting :wink:

Thank you for sharing. I am not familiar with Gac-100. Will have to look up and read what that is.