So this is wrong, let’s refund. But let’s also keep charging so companies can chase us around for refunds that won’t benefit the people who paid to begin with.
Do I have this right? I feel like I lost a few brain cells writing this out. ![]()
So this is wrong, let’s refund. But let’s also keep charging so companies can chase us around for refunds that won’t benefit the people who paid to begin with.
Do I have this right? I feel like I lost a few brain cells writing this out. ![]()
Ok…..so I found this:
The “overruled” ones were mainly a set of broad emergency tariffs from Trump’s second term; the longer-standing China tariffs and newer replacements remain in force.
Bottom line for unfinished/unassembled vinyl doll kits
** They remain subject to the original Section 301 tariffs from Trump’s first term (typically 7.5% or 25%, depending on the exact 10-digit HTS subheading).**
• Plus the new 12.5% forced-labor Section 301 tariff.
• Base MFN rate is usually Free (0%).
So…….it is the emergency tariffs that were implemented that are being refunded.
All other tariffs are still being collected. From the percentages listed above I think I don’t mind paying a tariff to try to stop forced and child labor.
And unless I’m reading this wrong….doll kits have been subject to tariffs for quite a while now according to this. I think why we never had to pay tariffs is that many suppliers used the “toy” category to fly under the radar???
** dolls (and doll-related items) have long been subject to U.S. import duties, (since about 1994), but whether a doll kit pays the higher “dolls” duty or a lower “toys” duty depends on how the kit/contents are classified by customs (and on the exact HTSUS/CBP classification for the components).
How do you suppose tariffs will reduce forced and child labor? I’m not being snarky. I’m legitimately curious how paying the US government a tax is going to affect how any other county operates their manufacturing businesses.
We know from experience that the importers will continue to import these products as it’s cheaper to do so (even with tariffs in place) than it would be to manufacture them here. There are also some products that the US does not have the materials/facilities/capabilities to produce at all.
Oh yes I forgot about that but I remember now.
A tariff can only help indirectly with forced labor—it doesn’t “fix” forced labor by itself.
The theory is economic leverage is deterrence. There is no guarantee that it will actually change anything, but if it hurts their economy enough it possibly could change some things about.
I was thinking the same, how is this going to stop chid labor and low wages? Just going to happen because China is so honest and respectful really want to care and do the right thing. I don’t get the connection with tariffs and doing the correct thing? I suspect it isn’t hurting China’s economy at all or very little, it is certainly hurting our country. I don’t think Trumps plan has done what he thought it would, he does not seem one to admit a mistake.
Tariffs are hurting China by increasing the cost of Chinese goods sold in America, leading to reduced sales and decreased profits for the Chinese, which, in turn causes direct economic strain.
Since 2024 USA imports of Chinese goods are down by around 30%.
So you don’t like that we have imposed tariffs on China and we now pay more for their products??
You are angry because China steals and resells sculpts along with tons of other products, spy on our people, steal data and a plethora of who knows what else yet you feel there should be no repercussions for them at all? Just because cheap Chinese made stuff costs more now?
What would you do if you were in a position of power to change things?
I would like to hear your input that would solve these issues.
We are our own worst enemy (me included as the convenience of Amazon has crept into my life in a big way)
We gripe that nothing is American made anymore but clamor for the cheap imitations foisted on us by China.
This happened to me also. I ordered from her web store. I just noticed that she has posted that you get free shipping if you purchase over 130.00 but they can not cover tariffs it isn’t sustainable. It took me by surprise. Instead of raising her price by 34.00 she is passing it on to us at delivery. We are going to have to pay it one way or the other, she does. Thank your current administration.
I asked grok about tariffs on doll kits and I have no clue what a kit costs to make….but tariffs aren’t charged PER kit but by shipment and the tariff is charged on a wholesale value (what China charged the sculptor)
I asked about a shipment of 500 kits at the price of $50 each;
When you get to the estimate of tariffs on shipments to Canada it says they fall under the toys/dolls category and are tariff free….but I think that depends on how things are listed bc I have looked it up before and it also said kits do not fall into that category ![]()
Either way…..if dolls cost $50……looks like tariff charge is anywhere from$4-$18 each.
@@. Edited @@
I just went back and asked what tariffs are if kit cost $75
Estimate was $6-28
I can’t see a kit costing more than $75 as no one would make any money if they were higher than that. ![]()
Here’s a realistic estimate for a commercial shipment of 500 doll kits from China at $50 wholesale each.
Shipment details
• Quantity: 500 kits
• Wholesale value: $50 each
• Total customs value (transaction value): $25,000
(This is the figure duties are calculated on — the price paid to the Chinese supplier, not the eventual retail price.)
Likely U.S. tariff treatment (most relevant for a U.S. brand like Laura Lee Eagles)
Dolls and doll kits almost always classify under HTS 9503 (toys / dolls representing human beings / other toys).
• Base MFN duty: Free (0%)
• Section 301 China tariffs: Toys/dolls are covered. Depending on the exact 10-digit subheading and current lists, this is typically either 7.5% (List 4A) or 25% (List 3) in various 2026 references.
• Additional layers that have applied in 2025–2026 (forced-labor Section 301, residual Section 122-style measures, etc.) have pushed the effective rate on many Chinese toys into the roughly 20–37.5% range in recent analyses, though the exact stack depends on the precise code and entry date.
Estimated duty range on $25,000 value:
• Lower end (7.5–12.5% total additional): ≈ $1,875 – $3,125
• Mid / commonly cited for toys: ≈ $5,000 – $6,250 (20–25%)
• Higher end if full stacking applies: up to ≈ $9,000+
Plus small merchandise processing fee (MPF) and any harbor maintenance fee if ocean freight is involved — usually a few hundred dollars total on a shipment this size.
Per-kit duty equivalent: roughly $4 – $18 depending on the exact rate applied (far below a $35 flat customer charge).
If the destination is Canada instead
Most dolls/toys under HS 9503 enter Canada duty-free under MFN (or preferential rates). You would still pay GST (5%) + provincial sales tax on the duty-paid value, but the pure customs duty is usually $0.
Important caveats
• Exact classification matters. A pure “reborn doll kit” (vinyl parts, etc.) is almost always 9503, but if it is marketed or structured as something else (craft supplies, educational kit, etc.), a different code could apply.
• Rates change and stack. 2025–2026 has seen multiple overlapping measures on Chinese goods.
• This is an estimate only. A licensed customs broker would confirm the precise 10-digit HTS code and current Chapter 99 additional duties for the actual entry.
Bottom line: On a $25,000 wholesale shipment, the actual duty the importer pays to customs is very likely in the low-to-mid thousands of dollars — translating to well under $35 per kit. A $35 flat customer fee would therefore include a meaningful buffer beyond pure duty recovery.