I'm afraid...very affraid

Ok so I have started my little Megan. I am now to mottling, and I am using the tutorial by Nicol Russell that Pia recommended. However I am struggling a bit, I am using genesis paints, in the tutorial she uses Authentic Reborn paints which are somewhat different colors. For mottling I just can’t seem to get it right, I’m not sure if it the color I am using or what. What genesis paint should I be using for this? Any tips or suggestions that any of you can provide for mottling, I would greatly appreciate it.

I did mottling a couple times before I bought the strawberry premix she uses. Essentially you just want a red to purple color. The exact shade isn’t super important, just make sure to thin the paint, you can always add more later. It’s no fun stripping … The doll parts I mean :wink:

I think I mixed the warm blush with whatever purple or blue comes in the BB starter kit to get a red-purple. I’ve stripped my poor baby twice so it was a little different each time. Luckily with these paints if you don’t like the color or darkness or pattern you can just wipe it off and try again. I would reccomend starting on large part of a leg or the back of the head though so you can get an idea of what it will look like.

1 Like

The recipe for the Strawberry Blush is: pryrolle red02, thouch of eyelid purple, and a touch of flesh 08. You can compare it to the photos in Nicoles tutorial to try to get it right. The Strawberry Crease and Wrinkle is: touch of red 02, touch of ultramarine blue, touch of flesh 08, touch of eyelid purple. To come closest to what Nicole uses, you need to thin those paints with thinning medium instead of ordorless thinner so it has a bit of thickness to the paint but not intensity in the color. For the mottle, you still thin the pre-mix with odorless thinner before using it on the mottle sponge. Good luck - Lynaea is right though, you can use any shade of reddish for the mottle that you would like to use, but to end up with a result similar to what Nicole has, you probably would be best off to mix colors that are close to what she is using. Good luck!

3 Likes

where did you get your strawberry premix? She uses it quite often often, I think having it would be extremely helpful.

Secrist sells the AR paints.

Pia,
Do you have any expert advice that could help with mottling right now I am using genesis pints and I am really struggling

I hate to stir you away from Nicole’s great tutorial . Things get really out of whack with too much input. I usually do a fairly deep red/purple mottle (thin) - paint it onto your plucked sponge and then blot on a paper towel before you apply it to the vinyl. You should be able to faintly see it. Did you try a color similar to the strawberry blush?

I tried , it looked similar but it just seemed to dark when I applied it

Thanks for the recipes, Pia!

2 Likes

I was like you and still am at times. It is a fear of failing. Like Pia said, follow along a good tutorial and go for it. You will make mistakes. I do and I get frustrated, but each doll gets better. Most mistakes can be corrected also. Keep at it. It is such a thrill and reward when you finish a doll and put it together. Remember, it’s not a race. Take your time. :grinning:

3 Likes

If it’s going on too dark, try thinning it more. Also remember that she rubs hers once dry to blend it, that step can take care of some issues.

1 Like

yesss I have same problemmmm…while other people already show many of their new babies here…I even haven’t finish at all…keep making excuse like you…I think I need GHSP ultramarine blue, etc…

1 Like

Shayla, if you feel like your mottle is too dark, try thinning your paint a little more. I tip my dish and use the paint on the bottom, make sure to blot on a paper towel and LIGHTLY touch the sponge to your vinyl. I don’t get my sponge very wet with just using the residue of paint on bottom of the dish. Make sure to swirl the paint and tip again each time you go into your paint. If it is too dark you can wipe it back after it is completely dry, before baking. If it is too dark still, wipe it off and try again. Hope this helps.