I prefer sleeping babies

Which one do you like more?
So I prefer sleeping babies, and almost never do open eyed babies unless it’s a custom; which is almost always an open eyed babies. I never buy them otherwise, usually only offering closed eyes on my business page. I’ve never had any issues selling babies and they always seem to get adopted quickly, and I never have a full nursery. My husband says I should offer both on my page, and not just buy only sleeping kits, and to suck it up and do opened eyed. I think sleeping to me, especially with me being new still, seem way more realistic than open. Which do you prefer? And as a business, is it okay to favor/or not offer the other option because you don’t like doing them, or should I always buy both types and just deal with it?

3 Likes

I really prefer sleeping babies because they look more realistic to me. I find awake babies sell less for me, especially lately but a lot of people find it to be the opposite. I say stick to whatever YOU like. If you consistently paint dolls you don’t like then you will start to enjoy it less. I only paint the kits that I like, unless it’s a custom order. That keeps it fun for me

2 Likes

When I’m painting what I like, it is sleeping babies. They look more realistic to me than one that stares and never blinks… unless it’s a super cute awake kit that I just can not resist, I think I’ll probably always prefer the sleeping ones. Out of my custom orders, about half are awake.

If your sales are good, customers obviously like what you are painting, so carry on. :grin:

3 Likes

I think the sleeping ones look more realistic because awake babies are never still. Some of the open eyed ones are beautiful, though.

1 Like

I think it is a personal preference. If I didn’t want to do a certain type of doll, I wouldn’t do it. I don’t see myself struggling through doing one type of doll that I really hate doing just so I will represent all types. That is just my opinion. It is also how I purchase babies. I seem to prefer open-eyed babies. The ones that seem to be actually seeing something. But that doesn’t mean everyone has to like them. I also have closed-eye babies. (Not painted yet, but I do have some) :slight_smile:

1 Like

I do like sleeping babies but I seem to do better on larger open eye babies. I am thinking that I may stick to larger babies and toddlers. My larger open eye kits sell quickly while my others sit longer, the only one Ive had a problem selling is my Lil Smile

1 Like

I like both. I agree the awake babies just stare. But they also seem to me to be more interactive. I have a mixed bag of sales for both. There are certain sculpts that even in open eyes can look very newborn and not too dolly. I also love to pick their eye color :grin:

I do both, but prefer open eyes. They sell the same, so it doesn’t matter to me. They are not more difficult to paint, but I have to consider the price of the eyes.

1 Like

I prefer sleepers, I hate setting eyes, I hate rooting open eye babies. I seem to fall in love with more open eyed kits though. I would say most of the kits I buy for my own collection are open eyed babies.

I love sleepers. Easier to make because you don’t have to mess about with the eyes and they tend to look more real.
Awake ones, especially bigger babies, are much more fun to pose, though.

1 Like

I like both too, but I gravitate towards sleeping. They do give a more realistic feeling, especially the little babies.

But then it sucks not seeing their eyes at times, and after you have a certain number that sleeps, you want an awake one for some role playing.

1 Like

Awake! I prefer peaky eyes. No one in my family that I gift the dolls to want a Sleeping Baby. But I do have Caleb and I like her a lot! I like Easton too.

But here is one that is a must have. Peaking and scrunchy face, I’m in love. The only thing is that I wish both hands were open, I may have to change out the arms.

Elwin
Elwyn

3 Likes

I prefer awake— but the way their eyes are set really matters! Some just look like they’re “staring,” but others have sooooo much more personality. That said, there is something very peaceful about holding a sleeping baby, too…

2 Likes

I prefer sleeping better. To me they look more realistic

2 Likes

I would love to have a kit with them barely open. Are there any kits out there like that?

1 Like

@Lslusher1 There are a few, Elwin is just one. Franklin is another.

Franklin0

These 2 are on MacPhersoncrafts.com - Elisa Marx

I prefer closed eyes for babies. I have 4 sleeping babies. My toddler that I’m paying off will be my first open eyed doll.

1 Like