I Made My Own Afro From Straight Human Hair: Pic Heavy

I needed afro hair for my AA Amelia. I found it to be to pricy for now as I need to save some money. So I decided to make it from the straight human hair I have. I thought of sharing with you how I made it. It’s a long process but I saved myself R300.

I first cut a batch of strands of hair from the weft of human hair then roll it on kebab sticks that I cut in have. You can also use straws. That will be determined by the coil you want. The thinner the stick, straw or rod the more cooled and tight the curls. When you roll them keep the hair in place with tiny rubber bands at the first end before you roll the hair in the stick and at the other end.

After rolling enough hair( I used 7 stick which made 14 rolled strand batches), put in a container and poured hot water onto the rolled hair inside the container.

I don’t have a specific time how long they should be left in the water but I remove them once the water is cooled. I then put them on a dry towel to dry them. You can either air-dry them or blow-dry them.

Untie the sticks one by one as and when you use the strands. Don’t remove all from sticks.

This is how it looks rooted. I will share the complete rooted head.

It is taking me forever because after every 10 single strands I’ve rooted my daughter wants to breastfeed. Even if she has eaten.

I must still add the top and finish the back and sides.

20 Likes

The rubber bands must not be too tight S they pop when you pour hot water.

1 Like

Wow I’m impressed!!! What a great tip. Never would have known it started straight

4 Likes

You did an awesome job! Very creative. And, of course your daughter needs to feed every few minutes or so. She HAS to have all your attention. :slight_smile: I remember those days.

2 Likes

Will it stay curled, what if you wet it agin will it go straight? I am curious since it wasn’t put in any perm solution or anything…

4 Likes

I was going to ask the same thing.

3 Likes

Wonderful idea, looks good

1 Like

Thank you

Thank you. I’m doing my best to cherish these moments as I hope she grows up close and open to me as a teenager.

1 Like

@PutABonnetOnIt and @Katinafleming I don’t know if it will stay curled. I think water won’t affect it but stretching it will as I saw when I was separating the strands if one strand gets pulled hard it stretched.

Thank you @aclovly

3 Likes

If it started out straight then I would expect it to go straight again when it gets wet. Just like human hair does.

5 Likes

As someone mentioned, maybe you could put it in a Perm solution so it would stay curly.

3 Likes

It would probably become brittle and break off in the rooting process. It would also have a strong odor that wouldn’t go away for many washes. But it is a good thought!

2 Likes

@anjsmiles, maybe hey? I will try out on a strands I curled and see.

@lynn that’s idea to try.

@Alypants, I hope it doesn’t break. But luckily the doll is not for sale. It’s for my own keeps. Next time I make one for a client I will buy curled human hair.

2 Likes

Sorry, I mean the permed hair would be likely to break and have an odor. This hair should be fine as far as strength!

3 Likes

Oh you meant the permed hair. That makes sense cos permed hair needs treatment. Maybe in a wig it could be tried as one won’t have to put chemicals in the doll.

genius!

1 Like

Thank you :heart:

1 Like

Bumping this up to go along with the recent interest here in coily hair for rooting. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like