I don't know what to do

Hi everyone. I have no idea what’s going on. I know people were having issues with genesis and blue in particular not curing properly. I have opened a new ultramarine blue recently that I bought like April last year. But my issues started before that. I’m a “primary” painter. My babies seem to take forever to build color like its almost absorbing I’m the vinyl. Then it starts looking dirty and blended crap. Now this doesn’t happen with every baby. Or I have trouble, strip and redo just fine. I wash my color on, pounce off and bake after dry. So baking every layer. I can’t figure out what’s going on. I’m not sure paints as it doesn’t happen every baby but 3/4 of them. I’m leaning towards oven problem (but tempted with an oven thermometer and it’s getting hot enough) or new vinyl. Most of the kits I’m painting are newer kits. I’m just really getting frustrated to the point of giving up. I’m tired of stripping kits. I don’t know if I should order a new oven or what. Baby someone on here may have some advice for me. I’m lost. Any would be greatly appreciated.

This won’t help you, i paint with air dry, I swear someone has put a "voodoo hex"on painting reborn dolls! I am having the same problem with paint not showing on my dolls. I’m kidding about the hex, but I recently painted Darren s head and it wouldn’t absorb paint colors. When I tried to paint Seinna head, the same experience with the colors. Also I used a purple, mauve, several shades of red all with a touch of black and it turned a yucky pink every time!! Seinna from BB is not a new kit, so I’d think it was an older sculpt. It’s crazy about my paint and I agree the scout soon turned dirty color so I would have to strip again. Also seems like the heads were worse than the limbs. But I was also doing more heads than limbs.

2 Likes

If Genesis paints are muddying together they are not set enough and you are getting lift off or whatever thinner you are using is lifting them off possibly.

1 Like

I’m finding this too - I use air dry as well. It’s just like I’m putting water on! It’s so damn annoying! I find the heads are better than the limbs. The heads are to take colour better but my goodness it’s a tough job when this is happening.

1 Like

I should have put this in too. Thinner was 1 of the first things I tried switching. First Mona lisa then I switched from gemesol.

What could it be? I mostly use Golden, I have recently been using some pastels mostly to try to cover up the muddy look. But I’ve never used pastels on the lips. The lips have been really crazy the way the turn bubble gum pink!

I’m not having any problems with Liquitex, but I’m glad a have a good sized stock of them.

1 Like

I also use Liquitex and haven’t had any problems at all.

Are you adding a lot of retarder to your mix? That could be causing your paints to be very slow to cure. If so, back off of the amount you are using. It only takes 2 or 3 drops per small mix to get some results from them.

Considering that people using other paints have also problems, could that be the vinyl?
I do not reborn any more, but over the years there would be a kit or few, now and then, that would not take paint well.

2 Likes

I use Liquitex and am glad I have a good supply.

I didn’t realize you’d stopped painting. I’m glad to see you here though, it’s been a while. How have you been?

1 Like

It’s good to see your face again, I have wondered how you were, I knew I had not seen you sharing for some time. I’ve been painting for two years this past February. Im sorry you are no longer painting, thank you for sharing your wisdom. I think it may be the vinyl too, its very stressful.

1 Like

I’m thinking the vinyl over the paints.

1 Like