How to get this shade of red?

What colors in what ratios will get the red in this baby’s lips? I have the hardest time mixing a red like this. It ends up being too pink or too orange.

2 Likes

Following. I have asked the pros that question – about how to get a particular color. They say they cannot tell me, because it is something that artists come up with. It did make me feel frustrated, but I can kinda see where she was coming from. HOWEVER, in the even that you get a good answer I am following this post.

1 Like

I would say that there is a cool base put on the lips like a purple and the red is brought in from the corners and left thin in the middle. There also appears to be earth mint or some other cancelling color in the center of the bottom lip.

1 Like

I forgot to say in my post that I found it rather easy to mix these kinds of reds when I used acrylic paints, but have had the hardest time with this color since I began using GHSPs about five years ago. I don’t know what it is about GHSPs to mix this kind of red, but I guess when people figure it out it becomes a secret.

Yup, I agree. I use flesh 08 on the bottom lip to achieve that look on my own dolls but use a different base color for the rest of the lips.

I do use acrylics, but mixing colors is not my strong point at this time.

1 Like

I use red with a touch of black.

2 Likes

Which red? Pyrrole or Genesis Red?

1 Like

I struggle painting lips, I’ve now started to colour them as I go through the reborning process, super thin layers of just about anything until I’m happy. If I try and do the in 1 or 2 coats it never works, but I don’t really use any of the premixed ghsp, maybe that’s why

1 Like

Yes, I think it’s best to build them up with thin layers as you reborn the baby. That’s what I do. It gives better depth to the lips, I think. But it’s just getting that lip red that evades me. I have gotten close but I think mine end up a little too pink-red when trying to get a more rose red.

It’s definitely layered, but I think I can kind of see the colors, but I don’t know how to tell you in ghsp language. I’ve only ever used air dry. Pyrrole red light plus a bit of violet oxide, maybe lightened with some white should be pretty close. Looks like that bottom layer that goes over the lip line could be a more reddish color. Either that or the layers on the outer part of the lips built up to make it look darker. I think we can all see the touch of blue in there. That middle lower lip kind of looks like violet oxide and white maybe?

If this is one of Silvia’s babies, I think she said she used the primary method to get her lip color, so it could just be the way she layers them.

2 Likes

I use Genesis red

2 Likes

Yes, this is one of Silvia’s babies. Using the primary method to get her lip color sounds interesting.

Thanks