How much to charge for a damaged kit?

I accidentally let the head of this kit melt and now I’m thinking about selling him to an alternative reborn artist or for a convencional one if she wants to try repairing him.
But I don’t know how much to charge for him.

His limbs are fine once I didn’t put them with the head. He was painted and rooted and I took off all of his paint and I was removing his hair when the incident happened.

He is Jack by Nikki Johnston, a sold out limited edition kit. To buy another kit, I’d have to pay between $400 and $580 usd for it.

How much do you think I should ask for?

1 Like

I don’t think that will sell JMO. I would make an alternative baby, that damage is beyond repair to me. I don’t know who would take a chance on trying to save it. Good luck.

9 Likes

I agree with @Shera1

4 Likes

The most important part to not be damaged is the head for a conventional artist. Easy enough to replace a limb set. And an alternative artist may be able to do something with a damaged head but I doubt they want to pay for a damaged kit even if it is SOLE. You could always buy a head to use with the limbs but that head is shot.

5 Likes

Even for alternatives, structural integrity is a must. Unfortunately, the entire scalp is unsalvagable. All I can think of would be removing the scalp and piecing another scalp in its place. But even with that, the face looks shiny and compromised. I would be afraid to bake it anymore. And I don’t know if paint would stick to it. Some alternative artist may be willing to tackle the challenge. But I doubt they would be willing to pay much, if any for the head. You may be able to sell the limbs separately to help get some of your money back. :woman_shrugging:t2:

6 Likes

It sucks, but I don’t think you can charge a lot. I make alternatives and such a thing would be a cool challenge to work with/around. But I wouldn’t pay much money for a damaged kit, even if it is rare.

6 Likes

Oh those limbs look over heated as well. Very shiny with a slight melted look to them. I don’t think they are worth any more than the head really.

5 Likes

I think this one’s a lost cause. Sorry.

5 Likes

I think the shine on the limbs may be from water, since her hands look wet.

I agree that the head isn’t something that will sell to most artists. And if somebody did want it, they’d only buy it if it was very inexpensive.

I also agree that making an alternative to sell is the best way to recoup any of the money that went into the purchase of this kit.

I’m sorry @Perdullune and I would be absolutely heartsick over this happening to me, but we are your friends and we’re just being honest with you.

3 Likes

If you can’t sell it and are going to toss it, can I have it to see if it’s salvageable as an air dry painted baby?

2 Likes

I think an awesome Alternative Artist would do well with it.

2 Likes

You can sell it as advertising the limbs and throwing the head in for free. Or just selling the limbs and giving the head to whoever wants to pay the shipping. The limbs are worth something, the head isn’t. :frowning:

4 Likes

I do too. BUT I would not buy a damaged kit.
If I damaged it then I would figure out something. And I would not reheat the vinyl for sure.

4 Likes

OH I think you are right after looking at the photos again.
If the limbs are not damaged then they can be used for sure but I do not think they would bring more money than any other limbs. With the head being damaged the high value pricing of the kit is lost. I am sure she feels gutted. I would.

3 Likes