How do you finish? and Magnifying light recommendation

I feel so dumb asking this but I’m so new so I need this advice. I’m done with my painting. What are my next steps? I still need to do varnish, nails, eye brows, rooting eyelashes, rooting hair, gloss…

Do I varnish before nails? If so, do I wipe it off the nails or varnish the nails as well? Or do I wait and varnish after nails and cover the nails?

Do I paint eyebrows and then varnish over them? I’m going to lightly paint and then root over them lightly and varnish them to hold them down.

Do I varnish before eyelashes or after?

I’m pretty sure I varnish before rooting hair.

When do I gloss?

I want to get a magnifying lamp to use for rooting. What’s the best idea for this? Should I get the one that hangs around my neck or a tabletop one? I don’t want to get a floor lamp bc my area is getting cluttered.

Thanks!

3 Likes

All painting should be finished before varnishing, including eyebrows and nails. Glossing usually gets done last, after varnishing. Rooting is the very last thing that I do, whether it be eyelashes or hair. Amazon has magnifier glasses with light. I think these are the easiest. You just put them on and they stay in the right position. They won’t win you any beauty contests, though. lol

5 Likes

Do I put varnish over the nails and lips and then put gloss over the varnish?

1 Like

That’s what I do because the varnish is to protect the paint on the nails and gloss is just detailing.

3 Likes

Yes ma’am. I do the same as Jean

1 Like

I do the same, but I usually gloss very last, right before assembly, because i use GHSP and many glosses act unpredictably when heated. Mostly just in the case i need to touch up anything.

1 Like

I use air dry gloss. It works just fine over Genesis.

1 Like

I don’t varnish over nails and lips as gloss works as protection and I want nails and lips to be smooth. The rest - all the same as Jean said.

I use viser with magnification when I paint details or root.

3 Likes

My nails and lips are smooth. I apply the gloss with a small brush and don’t pounce them.

1 Like

Can we have a link to your fancy visor? And a picture of you wearing it please.

4 Likes

lol, no way! It’s not fancy, it’s ugly, but functional. I ordered one, what I thought might be fancier with led light, but it took real batteries and because of that too heavy, so I returned it. You can find several posts with visors and glasses on the forum ( I am just not off work yet).

3 Likes

You really are the class clown, you know? :kissing_heart:

4 Likes

I’m an ass. :joy:

3 Likes

Ok so tell me if this is right for my next steps:
Paint nails, bake
Paint eyebrows, bake
Varnish (thin layer of Americana ultra matte, thin layer of American soft touch)
Wait three weeks :weary: (please say there’s another way)
Root eyebrows, eyelashes, and hair
Gloss lips, nails, etc.
Assemble

@jeanhai What type of air dry gloss do you recommend over GHSP? I know @yelena uses pledge. I have some of that. I’m going to use it on my first kit. I wanted to try another method on my second just to compare and see what I liked best. I was going to use my genesis gloss. Why do you prefer an air dry over the Genesis gloss? @Nikkiroc what do you gloss with?

For acrylic eyes I use Pledge. For lips I use Americana Soft Touch Varnish straight from the jar and when that dries Mod Podge Gloss where I want them to look wet. I also use it for eye corners and for saliva inside open mouths. For fingernails I use Soft Touch Varnish straight from the jar. Just a light coat. It dries with a natural sheen which I like better than a French manicure on a baby. I use air dry paints so I use air dry gloss.

2 Likes

What do you use to gloss?

I do like ‘Reborn with Me’ teached me:
Paint nail tips - bake
Paint nail beds - bake

1 Like

Thank you! I was going to do that. I got some heat set nail extender from MacPhersons and can’t wait to try that. Just gotta push through a huge pile of assignments and one exam Friday morning and then I can work on both Kate and Clyde. Can’t wait!

I never used it. So you want to try just for experiment? You think the nails are too short?