How do you colour corect after stripping?

I have stripped some of my baby down and its looking yellowy orangish what can i do with it?

VERY thin light blue washes neutralize orange… if you have a color wheel, you choose the color directly opposite of the color you have now… THIN LAYERS!

Now that you have added a photo, I can’t imagine why it is so yellow on top of the head…. THIN purple color will neutralize yellow…

3 Likes

Wow. He is so yellow up on top.

Do you know what I would do? Monster him up and sell him as a zombie baby for Halloween! This way, he can be a very “off” color and still be in character.

I do paint fantasy babies, though. That might not be your jam. Please note that if you do go this route, you still have to build layers and shade in the same way you do non-monster babies. IOW, very thin, very blended layers…it will take time.

I mean you could still try to color correct…thin purple color corrects yellow, but…wow. That’s yellow. It is going to be some work to color correct to the point that you can then build to match that area to the rest of him.

Another option: applied wig, as sparse and natural a wig as possible. I don’t think rooted hair would be an option in this state, that would show through.

Just throwing some options out there. He’s a first baby, after all. You’re learning.

2 Likes

That’s very yellow. I don’t want to discourage you, but even most experienced artists probably wouldn’t try to color correct and color match this one. I know that I would personally find it too tedious/difficult to be worth my time. And seeing how disappointed and frustrated you seem with reborning as a whole, I wouldn’t recommend that you try to color correct him.

It’s obviously entirely up to you, but I would recommend making him into an alternative as those can be a fun way to blow off steam when you’re feeling overwhelmed/frustrated. There’s no expectation of realism and you can be as creative as you’d like to be.

The other viable option would be using him as a test head. You can practice mottling and paint application technique or even rooting.

3 Likes

I thought that only the top of the head was stripped and the color difference on the face and back of the head was because they haven’t been stripped?

That is with flash the other picture is without

I have stripped part of the face too

I wouldn’t bother trying to color correct if it were me…I’d use this head for practice. And at least he’s a bb kit, so not too expensive.

4 Likes

Also, walk away from it if you feel yourself getting upset with how it’s turning out. That was one thing I had to make myself do sometimes when nothing was working right. Fresh eyes help!!

2 Likes

I was just going tk suggest that. Using this kit as a technique tester. Not necessarily something to finish and sell. Use it to master mixing and thinning and keep at it. It appears to me there is a lot more stripping that needs to be done. That the yellow head is actually stripped better than the rest?

1 Like

What about making him in to a darker skinbed baby. Do you think that would cover up the yellow?

1 Like

That’s a great idea, keeping him as a practice head.

1 Like

Darker skinned babies are even harder to get smooth skin tones. You may get frustrated with the outcome. Are you sure you are down to the bare vinyl where you stripped? You may get need to take more paint off.

4 Likes

Darker skin tones are way harder to learn. With your frustration lately and being brand new, id hate for you to get more discouraged

2 Likes

Are the yellow areas the only sections that you stripped, or did you strip the entire head?

I’m just gonna say that most artists don’t even attempt a darker skinned baby until they’ve mastered pale skin tones. Darker skin is more finicky to work with, very easy to go dirty looking and if you don’t know how to blend and shade a Caucasian well - it won’t go the way you want it to.

4 Likes

It doesn’t look as if you have stripped the entire head yet? have you? If you haven’t stripped the entire head yet maybe the ‘yellow’ isn’t really all that yellow but more like the actual color of the bare vinyl showing as ‘yellow’ because it is next to very ‘pinkish’ paint? have you painted the limbs yet? If so, have you stripped them? If so compare the vinyl on the limbs and see if it is the same yellow color. What are you using to strip? I think you need to strip off ALL the paint and then show it to us again. JMO

5 Likes

Thats what i mentioned before. That the yellow to me, seemed like its actually stripped, whereas the rest needs more stripping.