Help! Tried to strip head

Hi there everyone! I tried to strip a Realborn newborn Emmy head. I was trying to paint the doll light biracial (I’m following Ashley Thacker’s paint with me on Facebook.) and I accidentally got too much color with one of the beginning layers so I tried to strip the head. The limbs are fine. I used rebornfx/waterborne air dry to paint with and I used a cheap nail polish remover with 100% acetone to strip. It got quite a bit off but there’s dried paint still stuck on the vinyl. I’m not sure what else to use. I used to use and love winsor and newton but I heard they changed their formula :disappointed:
Here’s what the head looks like now:

Any suggestions? I hope I didn’t ruin her head.
Thanks,
Julie

Sometimes 99% alcohol will do the trick.

Goof Off is what we used back in the day on Berenguers and it works just have to go outside as it stinks.

2 Likes

I agree, alcool will clean it up.

Thanks ladies! I was wondering if anyone has used this pink soap stuff?:

It’s supposed to be a brush cleaner and it says it can clean all different types of artist paints including acrylic paint.

I went to Amazon and read some reviews. I am reading that it would not remove dried paint from brushes so I doubt it would strip a kit. They do say it is great to clean brushes out when finished painting.

1 Like

Is this the rubbing alcohol to use? I read 99% is the strongest but it’s not safe for human skin. I would be wearing gloves. Would I need to use this product outside?

1 Like

Yes, that works. I use it all the time on silicone and such and I do not wear gloves. I think the concerns would be if treating a wound.

edited to say
I have been buying this brand
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CGCHWMP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3 Likes

I edited to add the brand I have been getting but I also wanted to come back to say if using a lot of it to strip you probably should wear gloves to keep from drying your hands out so.

2 Likes

The pink stuff does not remove any paint. The alcohol should work. For those clumps I’d try Dawn soap with baking soda to scrub them off.

2 Likes

Thanks Angie! Do you have to use it outside when stripping?

Thanks, I will also try the Dawn soap with baking soda.

That should make the clumps come off a lil easier, but you’ll still need alcohol for the residue.

2 Likes

Alcohol? No it should be fine. The 99% evaporates fast. Use cotton rounds that don’t shred apart easily.

1 Like

I got the 99% at an electronics supply store, but Amazon is pretty fast :slight_smile:

1 Like