Help on AA baby

You all have been so helpful so tell me what you think. Boy or Girl. Please excuse my photography, the lighting is bad in here for pictures.

Uploading…]()

3 Likes

I like her as a girl. Someone is definitely going to love her, reborns aren’t often that dark!

2 Likes

Agree wholeheartedly

Let us know how you get on selling her/him .Can you not offer the option of either sex ?
I

Creating black dolls and dolls of color are tricky. For many reasons. One It’s hard to paint them. They are no walk in the park. But it’s also tricky because of black people history. Most people’s first doll of color is not perfect of course because it’s their first time. But often times the dolls border on the line of a
offensive caricature of black people. I’m sure that’s not your intent but as a black person that was the first thing I thought of when seen this doll. So as advice I’d suggest not so much as focusing on darkening the complexion of the skin tone but actually focusing on the Small details. Adding shade, value and deminsion to different parts of the baby because that would also accurately represent a person of color. But there plenty of dark reborns in this community, I have several myself. But since we aren’t a majority in this community we aren’t seen as often. Here are some photos of just a few dark complexion dolls of color.

2 Likes

Thank you for your response. I certainly was not trying to create an “offensive caricature”. AA babies are hard to paint and I have spent alot of time with this baby. My goal is to continuously improve and so I do appreciate your advice on ways to accomplish that…

3 Likes

I know that wasn’t your intentions. But it’s important to me as a black persons to voice these things even if the intentions are pure. I’m fully aware that dolls of color aren’t easy to create and they are a lot of work. Best of luck in continuing and perfecting this craft.

@Hush
@pattyabe was unsure and asked for help. I wish you could have tried to help before she finished. We gave the best advice we could offer. We are all here to learn. Please don’t be too hard. It is not a race thing! You should see my first one, she was extremely dark but my (older) daughter loved her! Let me find her.

I am going to try making a dark skinned cuddle baby soon. I hope to do better, :smiley:!

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing this baby. What a wonderful memorial to your mom. Did you mother ever see any of your babies? I ask because I often wonder what my mother would have thought of my making dolls. I know she would have been very supportive.

By the way, my doll is still not completed. I am still tweaking it.

3 Likes

@pattyabe No, my Mom crossed over a while ago. That baby was supposed to be a memorial to her but Rose had her own ideas, lol. I ended up using Miles to represent her and the rest of my family that is no longer with me. I keep him close. He is the one that I accidentally cut the face and used super glue to hold the cut together, lol. But he is my favorite right now. He was baby no. 7 I think.

Glad you are continuing to work on your baby. Can’t wait to see the finished product. I see more girl that boy but either would work.

BB Miles

3 Likes

I was not being hard but giving her honest advice. I didn’t tear her or her work down but gave her things she could build and improve on. I’m fully aware that everyone here is trying to learn but what good is that if no one is giving good and helpful critique. It is a race thing. It’s one of the number one things that is used to identify us. Don’t try shut out the one thing that makes us difference. For some people race dictates their entire life. It may not be a big deal to you but to others it is.

1 Like

@Hush Ok got it. I understand.