Head weight?

I was told that its best to put the glass beads in the face because a newborn head would actually flop forward.

I just watched a video and she put the glass beeds at the back of the head to flop backwards.
What does everyone do?
What is more realistic?

2 Likes

I put the glass beads in a stocking and drop it in at the back of the head and then stuff the empty space with poly fill so the bag of beads stays at the back…seems more realistic for me that the weight is at the back of the head

3 Likes

I put the weight in the face for sleeping babies and in the middle for awake babies so the head is more balanced for posing.

4 Likes

Thank you so much.

This is what I do. I like a heavy head in my hand as it’s realistic when you’re holding them.

2 Likes

I put a lot of weight in my heads- at least a whole pound. So usually the weight takes up most of that space and has polyfil all around. I’ve tried it every which way and it never seems to feel much different to me- again probably because it’s heavy regardless.

9 Likes

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your help.

I do the same as Pia.

I do most all mine in the face more so. I can’t stand a baby whose head flips backwards! However, if I am doing an awake bigger baby that I want to be able to sit up and not have it’s head flop all over then I will do what Pia does and usually weight it’s head a little less as well so it can sit up well.

1 Like

Thank you. I appreciate it. I prefer the face also but the video I saw did it in the back of the head so I doubted myself.

I think it’s however you think is better, no wrong way really :slightly_smiling_face: I do like how Aly said and put about a pound in or so.

3 Likes

That’s true…yes! Heavier is better!
Thank you everyone for your advise.
HAPPY VALENTINES DAY :gift_heart:

I put it in the face for sleeping babies. The head gets heavy enough that it flops back anyways but I feel their head lies more naturally when they’re on their back.

3 Likes

I usually put it in the back, just because of human anatomy, it would be heavier than the face. However like Aly, I put a lot of weight in the head, so it takes up most of the inside. Honestly with the weight in the back, it will still flop forward, backwards, to the side. With that much weight, in my experience it doesn’t really matter where it is for the flop factor.

3 Likes

Oh, thank you for your help.
I appreciate it.

1 Like

Absolutely agree. As a long time Nanny and a mother of 2 and Aunt/great Aunt my baby experience says any newer baby’s head will flop any which way, but especially towards the back. And that is where it feels heaviest when you’re holding a baby. I do like you and Aly, a lot of weight in the head, towards the back, fiber fil all around it. It’s got to be heavy and have flop to feel realistic.

3 Likes