Having trouble with reborn air dry paints rubbing off

I didn’t like the daler-rowney medium. Liquidtex is sticky but I only use a tiny bit. Americana and deco art have a matte medium that can be bought at Walmart, that is pretty cheap for the size

1 Like

@aliciadowns01 I used and still use a little Waterborne. The main problem I had was that it has to be stirred not shaken. I switched to Liquitex before I realized that. For me Liquitex works.

My Liquitex Heavy/Soft has never been sticky. Nor is the Liquitex Matt or Ultra Matt sticky. When I lived in an extremely humid climate I would wait an hour before starting another layer. I was on the verge of getting a dehumidifier but ended up moving. Now I am in the High Desert and no longer have to wait that long. You have to adjust everything to fit your way of painting and your climate. Remember everything is not written in stone. You will have to find your own way. It took me quite a while to figure that out.

I know you werent asking me but…
Thats another reason I love the Golden paints because, as I said, you can wash your doll parts after they are dry…typically a few hours to overnight, and it removes any lint and hair before you varnish. It might be a good idea to put something over your pieces when you are not working though. I work under a light and I put a magnifier on my head frequently and turn my pieces over and over to check for hair and lint.

2 Likes

I do want to clarify that the Liquitex Ultra Matte Gel is not at all sticky and is fabulous for painting. However, it is a thick gel so you still have to use some distilled water in the mix with it. It also is not a product that can be used as a translucent ground (Primer). For that you need a fluid matte medium and I recommend the Golden brand Fluid Matte Medium because it is not as sticky as the Liquitex. You can still use Liquitex brand paints if you want to. Just get the Golden Brand Fluid Matte Medium as your primer and since it can be used as a binder in paints you do not have to buy a 2nd product unless you just want the Liquitex Ultra Matte Gel. I will say the Liquitex Ultra Matte Gel is the most Matte Medium I have tried for mixing in paints. If you decide to try the Golden Fluid paints, you will find they are WAY more concentrated than the Waterbourne paints you have been using. So the Golden Fluid paints go a really long ways. I also have used my Golden Fluid paints to strengthen colors of other brand paints I had to make them more loaded with pigment. In this way you can still use any lesser pigmented paints up and make them loaded with pigment where they won’t fade or to change the hue and create a new color mix. In doing so, you are essentially using you other paints as your binder to thin the Golden. Hope that makes sense.

2 Likes

Yes it does. Thanks so much for the info. It will really help.