Have you tried this?

Hey artist have any of you tried this before? It’s much cheaper than Mona Lisa.

That’s what I used when I first started. My babies have turned out much better since I bit the bullet and bought Mona Lisa. Even though it’s more expensive, it’s much better quality I think.

3 Likes

Oooooh if you lime Mona Lisa you should try Gamsol :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

It was a topic a year or so ago started by Shawn, and the verdict was: Gamsol #1, MonnaLisa #2, all other can be used, but basically cr@p and recommended to be avoided.

3 Likes

If it’s clear I have used it, the others are better.

Joann Fabrics has Mona Lisa for 8.99 32 oz! Regular price 11.99 still not too bad! I buy mine from there :grin:

1 Like

I have to weigh in, Gamasol is hands down the best but I still very often use this brand on my Caucasian. Babies. I use only Gamsol on my my Ethnic babies.

1 Like

What specifically makes the Gamsol better? I’ve used Bob Ross and now use Mona Lisa. I didn’t find any difference between the two. I’d like to try Gamasol next but I’m curious as to why it’s better.

1 Like

Bob Ross and Mona Lisa are both good and pretty comparable to each other, I used both when I first started reborning. Gamsol is hands down the best though. It is the safest option of thinners, as far as toxicity goes. It is nice to paint with, it is great for skin tones, especially darker skin tones. Less likely to be chalky or streaky. It also has a longer drying time so you have more time to work with your paint.

2 Likes

I order a gallon of Mona Lisa. Next I will try gamsol .

I use Mona Lisa but I would like to try Gamsol just to see what it’s like. I can’t imagine wanting a longer dry time than Mona Lisa though. I feel like I’m always sitting waiting for flashing off.

4 Likes

That’s how I feel too! I’m like, hurry up and dry so I can put you in the oven!!

3 Likes

Yes I have even been known to speed it up with a hairdryer. :flushed:

1 Like

That’s why I usually paint 3-4 babies at a time, that way I always have a baby to paint while others are drying/baking/cooling. But when I only do one at a time it is hard to wait for it to dry sometimes:)

I usually have at least two babies on the go as well for that exact same reason. Lately I have only been doing one because I’ve been working on some other things in between.

1 Like

I have both and I prefer Mona Lisa. But I rarely paint ethnic babies. If I did, I wouid use the gamasol.

1 Like

I was at Michael’s yesterday and picked up some gamsol. I bought a medium sized one for two reasons. I want to make sure I like it before I purchase a large bottle. And it is expensive, twice the cost of Mona Lisa.

1 Like

Oh goodness then I will stick with Mona Lisa then. It’s expensive enough. Ugg

1 Like