Hair rooting the best way

I have made four reborns so far and I’m working on my 5th. however, every time I root the hair, it doesn’t come out looking real. I always seem to get too many hair per plug, and the pattern seems to always be so random and not realistic at all. is there a right way to do this? is there a certain needle that is better than the rest? any tips? I have only rooted the hair on three of the dolls (One of them is bald) I’m not sure if it’s up to the artist to decide what kind of way of rooting works for them. so far though, I think there’s more for me to learn.

It is kind of up to the artist to figure out what works best for them. I use a 43 guage single barb needle. It takes a little bit longer but a lot less time than pulling out all those plugs. Also, they leave a nearly invisible hole. There are many good rooting tutorials online that may help.

Thanks, I’ll have to try the #43

Rooting is a skill that takes time to master. The secret to beautiful rooting is practice, practice and more practice .

1 Like

If you are using a needle with multiple barbs you are going to get too many hairs per hole, which means you are going to have a lot of plucking to do. Do you MAP your head? If not, look up a mapping tutorial and that will help you a lot to keep yourself going in a nice pattern. I map then root one section at a time, Anyway, try that. Agree with the 43g 1barb needle, it says it is for advanced use only, but you’ll be fine. There is always a learning curve with any new endeavor. Good Luck, keep on rooting!

1 Like