Gray limbs

I ordered 2 sets of Cozy legs and 1 set of arms from BB and the legs are gray. I emailed them and they said that they would take them back and refund my money minus shipping. I have to pay to ship them back and pay shipping on new ones without a guarantee that those wouldn’t be gray also. Then they say they want customers to be satisfied. Well, I’m one who isn’t.

What do you exactly mean by “gray”. There has been lot of complains about gray kits, but there has been lots of confusion because there are 2 kinds of “gray” people are complaining about. One is dark muddy horrible colour that I found is best turned into AA or at least olive skinned baby. The other is very pale colourless vinyl, which is what Cozy, Lulu and some other recently made kits are now made of. So, if you have Cozy legs in that colour, the replacement will almost definitely be the same. That is unless there is somewhere pair of Cozy legs in the vinyl that the old Cozy was made out of.
Love or hate this new vinyl, i think it is bit unfair to blame BB for you not being happy; you ordered Cozy legs and that is what Cozy legs look like. It may take bit of work, but you should be able to paint them such a way that they will match whatever they need to match.

Saying that I wish that BB would try to make some sort of colour chart for all that different shades that their vinyl comes in. When I first started, their pink came in anything from pale baby pink to deep dark “pink” almost red.

If you would like to read through this thread, Cher taught a “class” on BB some time ago and used Cozy. She does the neutralizing as the first steps. viewtopic.php?t=44710

The cozy arms were fine.

— Begin quote from “greta”

The cozy arms were fine.

— End quote

Perhaps you will be able to get the legs to match. Do you have a head you have to adjust too? I didn’t realize how many colors of vinyl that BB has had. I love the Aubrey Pratt limbs and love them with Shyann’s head SO - I have 3 different colors of vinyl in the limbs and ordered a Shyann recently - she is a totally different color than any of them! I have a Molly head that I was planning to use with the new Shyann limbs and they don’t match either! so frustrating. I will have to color match all kinds of parts and pieces to get these frankenstein babies made!

I was going to use the Cozy limbs with a Camryn head. I have never had to adjust the color on any kits so I don’t know if I can. I just think that the shipping should be on them there and back again. It’s seems to me that the arms would match the legs if that was the color the kits are supposed to be. Anyway, I’ll try something.

I’ve always received exceptional customer service from BB. I had a belly plate that cracked after the first bake and they sent me a replacement for free and didn’t require me to return the cracked one. They paid for shipping too. The same is true for a cracked head I contacted them about earlier this week. I’m sorry you haven’t had the same experience. That is frustrating I’m sure.

BB makes kits in many different colours, when you get limbs from another kit there is a good chance you will have to match the colour. The new Cozy vinyl is very neutral and easy to make any colour you wish. You just need to sit the limbs next to the head and look what is the difference, then apply thin layers of wash, to make the colour of the legs look more like the head. Starting with the ochre (or yellow mixed with brown) is a good first step, then bake. (Unless the head is more pink, then do pink wash; you are the only one who can work that out, unless you can post here photos of all the 5 bits.)

So put on layer of wash and then compare again, and either put some skin layer, or what ever colour you think it needs. Bake often, bake every time you think the layer you put on is the step in right direction. I find that this pale vinyl always looks paler after baking, but that does not matter, do not feel tempted to make the wash stronger or you might end up with chalkiness. just put another layer. Once all the parts start looking pretty close in colour start putting the same layers on all of them, every now and then check if the legs may need another special treatment. i have done that many times that I used different limbs and some were very different colour to start with.
If you think you are are incapable to get the pale vinyl to the shade of the head, you could always give the baby olive skin, just apply many layers of brown washes, and doing some extra layers on the legs.

I’ll try that. Thanks. I would posts pictures but I can’t resize them.

You need to upload them to photobucket, and it is easy there to resize them, then all you do is post the link .

i recently traded for a precious gift kit who was soooooo grey (alien grey) but its the perfect color for AA … the only way to guarantee you get matching vinyl is to get a first quality kit because i’ve received 2nds kits before where one arm was a different color and that one upset me a bit because im terrible at neutralizing to match …lol…

— Begin quote from “CaliMel”

Honestly, I’d be annoyed too - a kit should match. That’s not too much to ask.

I am really surprised BB is charging you return shipping. I have seen so many times on here that parts were simply sent out as replacements, no shipping charged. So I’m kind of confused about that. They’ve always had such excellent CS - I wonder what’s going on with this order.

— End quote

She just didn’t like the color. I don’t think that is BB’s fault.

The color of the legs are gray the arms are fine. Thank you CaliMel, I didn’t think I was so wrong either. I didn’t send them back because I’m not paying all that shipping to send them back and to get new ones. Not to mention the shipping I’ve paid already only to get gray ones

— Begin quote from “greta”

The color of the legs are gray the arms are fine. Thank you CaliMel, I didn’t think I was so wrong either. I didn’t send them back because I’m not paying all that shipping to send them back and to get new ones. Not to mention the shipping I’ve paid already only to get gray ones

— End quote

I understood that you ordered a set of legs and a set of arms in the “parts” department? I haven’t seen BB sell arms and legs together (without the head). It might be possible to order the items and then tell BB if the limbs aren’t the same vinyl color that you don’t want them. You still have to match them to the head. Just saying that it isn’t BBs mistake that they aren’t the same color since it is 2 separate order items placed at the same time. In a perfect world the vinyl colors would always be the same so interchanging parts would be easy.

I’m just going to jump in and agree with Pia’s last comment. A complete kit wasn’t ordered. Parts were ordered. I will place an order sometimes with 3 or 4 sets of arms and anywhere from 1 to 4 sets of legs. BB has no idea what I’m doing with them…sometimes they are the same kit and other times not. Unless I tell them the vinyl needs to match they are just filling an order with Parts taken
from the correct bin.

I’m sorry they don’t match. If you can get pics posted there are some fantastic ‘color matchers’ on here that can guide you towards the easiest route to get to the same color.
Sometimes it’s easier to lighten the darkest piece and then work from there. Try and get pics posted so we can see what vinyl you are trying to work with.

My Honey was a similar case. She was a seconds kit, so was not sure what to expect. The limbs were a different shade from the head. Then, I bought different arms. I’m not a fan of Honey/Sugar arms. So, the arms were a third shade. It really didn’t take much to get them equal. As for the grayish color—Cher’s tutorial that Pia posted is a great one to follow. I look at it as a challenge for myself. I get determined that I’m going to match the parts. Keep at it and step back now and then.

I am sure it is a challenge for BB to produce consistent color considering they produce kits in different factories in different countries.

— Begin quote from “maggiebridget09”

— Begin quote from “Ludmila”

What do you exactly mean by “gray”. There has been lot of complains about gray kits, but there has been lots of confusion because there are 2 kinds of “gray” people are complaining about. One is dark muddy horrible colour that I found is best turned into AA or at least olive skinned baby

— End quote

You aren’t kidding about that. I have been working on a Sweet Pea Asleep that is the muddy color gray. Not only is is muddy, it is not very translucent at all. I’m seriously considering stripping it and starting over.

— End quote

Unfortunately, that is the vinyl that the lovely sweet Skeeter Fairy was made out of; I bought 9 of them! So I have an extensive experience in working with that horrible colour, and of-course, fairies need to be pale. I bought them 2 years ago and still have another 2 to paint. Love the fairies, but hate painting them, and rooting is hell. If they were the same new vinyl as Cozy, Lulu etc. they would be great.