Genesis Matte Varnish under Air dry paints?

I know there’s been quite a few threads about air dry paints lately, I went ahead and got my own acrylics to mix because I came out cheaper using my Michaels coupons :slight_smile: And I’ve taken a painting class before and know how to mix my own colors.

But my question is, I have already neutralized my doll kit with GHSP, if I bake the GHSP matte varnish on top of it, can I use my acrylic paint? I’ve seen some people saying they use the matte varnish underneath it to seal the vinyl and I’m curious if this would work too. I don’t want to have to strip the whole thing and start over. I also know heat set paints and acrylic don’t mix, would that be good enough for a layer between them?

1 Like

You can do air dry on top of Genesis, but I’m not so sure you could do Genesis on top of air dry. Maybe??

2 Likes

Good enough for me!! I was just double checking.

1 Like

Well you’re the actual reborner so by all means ignore me Haha!

@Sony72 Even with the matte varnish on top of the GHSP you think it would peel and crack still?

This is a great question!

1 Like

Thanks, I will just give it a try and see. I got it neutralized so perfectly and I don’t feel like redoing that part. I’ll let you guys know if anything horrible happens lol.

3 Likes

I have used the genesis varnish under air dry paints with no problems. I’ve only used it when I had a kit that had shiny spots where the paint would not stick. I have also used the genesis varnish over the air dry paint with no problems, but you have to make sure that your paint is completely cured before applying the varnish. I would recommend that you use a high quality artist air dry paint that can be used on a flexible surface and have a high light-fastness rating (non-fading properties).

3 Likes