First attempt at rooting eyebrows, I need feedback

I know that a lot of people didn’t prefer rooted eyebrows. I tried drawing and painting and it frustrated me to no end. So I patiently waited for my hair to arrive. Well, actually I didn’t wait patiently. I was waiting for my hair from Russia and got impatient so I ordered from J’s Premium mohair 2 weeks ago and got impatient again and ordered some HP Babylocks from MacPhersons since I was ordering some other stuff. That came fast and arrived yesterday and now I’m working on eyebrows. I had already used Americana Ultra Matte Varnish on this doll because I melted her and she was super shiny. Where I rooted has peeled pretty bad. I’ve cleaned it up the best I can while I wait for someone who has a heart of gold to send me some varnish remover. Until then we will just have ashy eyebrows. If you followed this baby’s story you know she’s been through the ringer. Poor baby Kate. I do like them, but I need fresh eyes to look at them. I’ve rooted them and plucked and rooted and plucked until I got them where I wanted and I’ve put some very diluted varnish over them to hold them in place to get a good look at them. What do y’all think? I may use a prisma pencil to fill them in IF needed instead of adding more hair since that would add depth to them. I think adding it after would be easier for me because I can fill in my own brows but Lordy I could NEVER draw them on it if had to. My first cousin is a medical esthetician and she does microblading. I’m going to get her to come over and give me a lesson soon. She did mine for me for my birthday and I love them. Anyway, I have the rooting lamp on in the first picture. The second without flash and the third with flash. What do y’all think? Honest constructive criticism please! Thanks!

3 Likes

I think they look good but could maybe be a little shorter on the outer ends.

1 Like

They look really good! I’ve considered rooting brows but I’m unsure on how long you should trim them back and how you varnish them?

1 Like

I trimmed them longer than they should be on a real baby just because I wanted them to actually lay down. Then I watered down my varnish and brushed it on with an eyebrow brush (spoolie like in a tube of mascara) and shaped them the way I wanted them to look. It was really easy. Much less frustrating to me than when I tried to draw them.

2 Likes

They look really good! But that poor baby’s face lol…

2 Likes

I’d recommend going over them with something meant for collage btw, and then varnishing again, its the best way I’ve found to get them to lay down, they look great! The only word of advice I have, if that browns stop on babies at about the outer corner of the eye. Beyond that they look great! And you did the right thing leaving them longer than they would be! Oh! One last thing, hair’s don’t all grow up on babies eyebrows on the inside portion. typically they grow in the >>> pattern as well some!

1 Like

Yeah her warped face has it hard for me to tell where they should stop. :cry:

1 Like

IKR? It’s so bad. I had her looking better but heating her with the lamp to root her made it go back to its warped state. She’s a bunch of lessons well learned.

1 Like

Specifically what type of medium?

I personally use golden Matte medium, as it’s meant to be used for collage as well as other things, I paint and then pounce, a few layers until I’m satisfied it’s sturdy, then varnish over the top with a UV resistant matte or satin varnish. I imagine mod podge would technically work but I’d be hesitant to use anything not archival quality

2 Likes

Thanks for the info! I use Golden matte medium for priming and extending so I’ll have to try it for brows. Does the kind of hair make a big difference? I have some really fine Alpaca I might try.

I prefer working with really fine hair for them! I think they look more baby that way, also, I try to make sure the hairs have variation in color because eyebrows usually have some highlights and low lights! This usually happens in mohair already though which is nice!

1 Like

I’d love to see yours!