Fading and how to prevent it

Hi everyone I am a reborn artist and I need help I want to prevent the fade of My reborns it has not happened to me but I want to know if I put the golden sealer a few coats on will it protect my babies I want them to last forever thank you

3 Likes

I haven’t heard of paint fading. Who’s experiencing or had experienced this? Please let me know what varnish you’re sealing with and what paint you’re using. Of course, nothing last forever but I would like to extend the life of the paint work if possible. Thank you in advance.

1 Like

Fading is usually the result of thinning air dry paints with nothing but water down to water color tinting. I have seen some Genesis painted babies fade a bit over time if the babies were kept in sunlight. Sunlight will cause any paint color to fade. Golden Polymer Matte Varnish does contain UV protection to help guard against fading.

4 Likes

Thank you so much what should I water down my air dry pint with ?

1 Like

Ok. Great. I use GHSP.

1 Like

Genesis heat set permanent matte varnish has UV protection. But not everyone uses it.

1 Like

Flow medium.

1 Like

Painting with archival quality, artist grade lightfast paints is a great way to avoid any fading. Especially with a Lightfastness Rating of a l-ll. Golden’s matte polymer varnish with UltraViolet Light Stabilizers is a fantastic addition as well. If using powders, pure pigments like PanPastels have an excellent Lightfastness.

2 Likes

The only time I have experienced fading was in the beginning. I wasn’t sure if I wanted to paint dolls, so I hesitated to invest a bunch of money into supplies and used cheap paint. Those dolls faded into really ugly colors, but oh well, my 6 year old plays with them. Now I use Golden paints with Golden matte polymer varnish and my dolls are holding up just fine.

3 Likes

I have seen Genesis babies fade too, mostly the blue undertones. Usually happens when the color was super thinned to begin with and also some vinyls will soak up paint more than others.

1 Like

Do you know at what timeframe fading generally begins?

1 Like

3-6 mos out. It definitely is more common to see with poor quality air dry paints and/or inadequate painting techniques such as not priming and over thinning paints with water and not using mediums. As long as one uses artist grade acrylics and thins them with no more than 30% water and uses flow mediums and other mediums instead things will be fine. I also highly recommend priming to prevent paint from soaking away into the vinyl and sealing with a UV protective matte varnish.

1 Like

Can you give me a list of what I need ? And what water to use to make it think thanks I appreciate it

1 Like

If you join my FB group you can find it all in the files there.

1 Like

I just requested

1 Like

Ok. I’ll make sure to do follow up emails with my reborn mommies on the 1st year anniversary…in September. Thank you for the information.

2 Likes