Experiments?

So what is everyone experimenting with; challenging themselves with; something new you’re trying? I am trying to psych myself up to try painted hair. I’m afraid my hands are too unsteady but I think I at least want to try. I don’t like having areas where I gave up before I ever started. I just want to paint very fine hair like my prisma hair.

7 Likes

Well. I haven’t started yet…will be after Christmas but I have plans to see how I go at sculpting and if I end up good enough (that is yet to be determined…lol) I want to see what is involved in having a kit produced…This is A BIG IFFY sort of thing but it is something I have toyed with for about 3 years now so that is what I hope to do in the new year! :smile:

7 Likes

I agree Helen. I penciled hair on Spencer and it’s ok for a beginner, not great, but maybe I’ll get better with practice. I would love to know how to Paint hair like some of those artists that paint that fabulous fine baby hair. I was hoping that they might have a class at ROSE with a Great Hair Painter but so far haven’t seen anything pop up, Not to mention the increased cost of everything, and I only reserved the hotel for Thurs----Sat, leaving Sun. I can’t really afford it anyway. Guess if I ever learn how to paint hair it will have to be on my own. Bummer.

5 Likes

Oh, that’s so exciting. I need to get back to my sculpting practice. After I destroyed my little Mongolian boy, I haven’t done any more. What clay are you going to use? What armature? Are you just playing it by ear or are you going to use a tutorial? Have you sculpted before? (I have and LOVE working 3-D.)

3 Likes

I also want to try my hand at sculpting this winter. I’ll be using Sculpey Living Doll. Making silicone babies is on my bucket list but it’s very expensive.

4 Likes

I have sculpted fairies and things like that in my 20’s but started playing with it again in 2012 but never continued with it though it was fun…I started with living doll clay but it cracked terrible so have gone to Prosculpt…I make my own armatures from from foil…lol I think I may have already posted pics a while back of ones that I did but here are some of them…the little round head one was my first…then I did the other 3…I wasn’t really happy with them though…need to be prettier babies to sell well I think,lol

Ok lovely ladies…it is 2:30am SUnday Morning and we are getting ready to head off so will see you all again on Thursday when we get back…Hope you all have a lovely week… :smile:

12 Likes

Good Gracious Starr these sculpts look like some that are already out there----they are GREAT!!! Why didn’t you have them made into kits? I would definitely want to buy them in kit form. Get to sculptin’ girl !!!

4 Likes

I always learn best on my own. Teachers distract me from learning unless I do it online and can pause the teacher while I experiment around.

3 Likes

I really think you can do it Starr! I can’t wait to see what you do.

3 Likes

My experimenting has all been with Prosculpt and I haven’t actually baked anything yet. Good luck Jeanhai. I can’t wait to see what you come up with too! We will become known as the forum where everyone becomes famous, right!

Okay, anybody else experimenting with anything else? Lynn and I are going to conquer painted hair. Jeanhai and Starr are going to become famous sculptors. What else?

2 Likes

Okay, I’m good with that. lol

2 Likes

I’m trying to psych myself up to try air dry paints. It is on the back burner for now, as I am trying to get all these other little babies rooted and ready for Christmas.

3 Likes

Taking a hair painting class is a main reason I would want to go to the show. I hope someone teaches one. I seriously need a hands on lesson.

5 Likes

Air dry paints are what I want for Christmas!

2 Likes

They’re beautiful, Starr!

@honojane Helen, I’m not doing anything new right now but in January, I want to start a biracial baby or maybe a darker-toned black baby. I love those skin tones, but as we’ve discussed, it’s a different process. I have a couple of Kira kits to use for this. I’ll need to get some hair that will work with that.

2 Likes

I already rose to that challenge last Christmas. It was fun. I used soft human hair because I was doing a toddler so it was easier to find. I understand it’s hard to find mohair that has the right curl.

2 Likes

I am experimenting with combi hair. I love the way it looks… But I’m far from doing it the way I would like. Practice makes perfect!

1 Like

Combi hair is fast and fun. I love it and I love how it looks when it’s done well. My tips are do nice pencilled hair using short, not long lines and a light, light touch. You can always darken down, but it it hard to come back if you go to far. When you are rooting, root the crown quite thickly and then add hair anywhere the hair would normally fall away form the scalp. Sometimes I put it around the back, sometimes not. Sometimes I root around the ear area bit. I usually allow the pencil to define the hairline. Those are my suggestions. I wouldn’t call them rules because everyone does this differently. It is after all, a new technique. This is just how I do it.

1 Like

Thank you!!! I’m about to try again!!!

1 Like

BOL, Nikki! Keep a light touch!

2 Likes