Expensive kit with flaws

So i have been working on this little one. I fell in love with her face. But the vinyl is orange no matter what i do.
And the ears are not sculpted the same. I cant believe i spent so much on a kit like this and ended up struggling so much.

Do yourselves a favor and stick with BB

7 Likes

She looked oompa loompa orange originally. Im thinking of making her an AA. But i worked so long to get her this light.

1 Like

If you cant fight the orange. Embrace it.

1 Like

I’m always surprised at how bad some expensive kits can be. Things like bubbles or pinpricks in the vinyl or little extra bits of vinyl.
They really need to get lessons from BB on quality control.

4 Likes

Agreed. This will be the only Andrea Arcello sculpt i buy since i am sure all the rest have flaws and orange vinyl. Ugh.

Hopefully the other expensive kit i bought isnt like this one

3 Likes

German vinyl is typically dark and orangish. It can have LOTS of flaws!! I would suggest a nice blue-green wash to get rid of that peachy color!

9 Likes

I will mix some up for next time. But i decided to take hee darker rather than fight the color she is.

1 Like

I used a lot of blue and green on mine. She came out ok (still WIP needs lashes and hair) but not my favourite kit. This one is a custom but I bought another kit believing that she took a pacifier. I had to modify a preemie paci for her and it still doesn’t work very well. At least she can suck her thumb and finger but wish her nails were better detailed.
I nearly forgot…this kit had a black spot on the knee. I gave her a scratch (customer aware) you can’t see in this picture.

9 Likes

Hmnm. She cant take a paci? The listing is very misleading in that case.
That makes me angry.

Yours came out cute tho.

2 Likes

thank you :slight_smile:
I don’t like her as far as realism and detail and I agree the listing is misleading but she was pretty easy to paint so I suppose I can do it again. I thought about selling the other kit but I think I would be better off just reborning it and selling that way.
There are other kits out there though that are just as good and sometimes better than BB’s realborns but I love them too and they are large part of my kit stock :wink:

I’m done ordering expensive kits for a while too. I keep getting black dots- cut marks, unexpected things because the sculpt wasn’t clearly shown. I’m only shopping B.B. for the rest of this year

5 Likes

Yes! Exactly it’s unbelievable.
Bbs customer service and quality control is the best. Hands down no contest

5 Likes

Hmmm

Not sure if i should go darker. I kinda like the medium complexion. Thoughts?

Agree, there should be more clarity regarding the expensive kits. Too often I have received a kit with unexpected issues, which had they been shown in the listings, I more than likely would not have purchased that particular kit. The blank pieces should be listed the way BB does theirs, that way we can see exactly what we are buying.

5 Likes

Other than this one and my Tobiah (not buying from that store again unless Im forced to) I haven’t had many problems. My Bonnie Brown and Cassie Brace kits have all been perfect and I actually really like the differences in vinyl sometimes, like my Yael kit. Id get bored only painting BB kits but don’t get me wrong, I love them and as I said, they make up a huge part of my kit stock and I can’t stop buying them.

1 Like

I jist bought Journey and she should be here tomorrow. I just hope she is not orange. Lol

1 Like

No, she won’t be…my Tobiah had a hole in the crease of his finger and I didnt notice until I was painting and bent the finger back. I couldn’t find any help replacing it from anywhere so I am going to repair it with the vinyl repair kit from Macphersons and I already have someone interested so hopefully I can manage the repair this weekend because Ive never baked baby parts.
LLE kits are lighter coloured Chinese vinyl, not the German vinyl :wink:

1 Like

Here is the ‘recipe’ for the Genesis mix I used for the orange vinyl. It’s from Jackie’s video… here’s the link to the thread containing the video. Just scroll down…

And the mix…
I found the recipe I used for the neutralizing the peachy kit.
12 parts Titanium white
1 part genesis yellow
A touch of genesis red
And I noticed that Jackie does 5 layers of this first off, then the thinning medium with a touch of color after that.

1 Like

I can paint fair skin now but i think that biracial babies don’t look right with the vinyl. Very frustrating.

1 Like