Does Smilla have Downs?

This may be a silly question? But does anyone else see Down Syndrome features in Smilla by Sabine Altenkirch? I have the kit on layaway, so I haven’t seen her in person. But from the prototype photos I see slanted eyes, bent pinkies, and a gap between the big toe and the second toe. I know a lot of typical babies have these same features. And a lot of babies with Downs don’t have all of these features.
I can’t find any mention of Downs regarding this kit anywhere online. But I can’t keep my eyes and mind from seeing it as a possibility.
Does anyone else see what I see? :thinking:

3 Likes

I actually had the same though when I was looking for a sister to my Oliver (Lillebror) by Sabine Altenkirch. But at the same time her look is not that obvious as Pebbles. I think she is babyish cute, just a little crossed-eyed.

1 Like

I see it 100%. I adore this kit, I just haven’t gotten around to buying her.

3 Likes

I adore this kit too. That smile gets me every time I see it. :heart_eyes:

I do see what you mean. I think it could go either way.

I greatly prefer her over Pebbles or any of those other sculpts because her features are more subtle. I think the others are too over the top for me and I don’t like them, but I also don’t like super expressive faces either.

1 Like

As a special education teacher, many of my students over the years have had DS. I’ve never liked any of the kits specifically advertised as having Down syndrome, as I find most of them to look like caricatures or stereotypes if people with DS to me. I love Smilla though, and I can’t wait for Realborn Patience to be released!

4 Likes

That’s exactly how I feel, I don’t like any of the other kits that are said to have Down Syndrome. Smilla is the sweetest little baby and she reborns really nicely. I just finished mine

10 Likes

She’s adorable :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Thank you! I so want to keep her but I don’t collect and I really need a sale. She gets to stay for a bit until I can afford some clothes for her. I have nothing in newborn girl’s size right now.

This one looked realistic and adorable. But you’re right. Most look stereotypical and characterish.

2 Likes

She looks like a mild Downs baby to me. When she first came out I saw several other artists wondering if she had DS, also. She’s really cute.

2 Likes

Yes! I hadn’t seen her before! She’s cute!

1 Like

We had a Smilla made for us, specifically for my teenage daughter with down syndrome. I’m not sure she was sculpted with the intent to be a down syndrome baby. As most parents of a
DS newborn know, doctors and nurses arent even sure in the first few weeks. So the shuttle features are much more desirable than a tongue hanging out or very cross eyed. My daughter has never had those features. We all love our little Gracie.(Smilla by artist Lena Dahl)

15 Likes

What a great resemblance! Your daughter is beautiful!

@Colleen I am not a fan of Stanley Oliver for that reason. Actually I’m not a fan of any of the sculpts that are designed to depict babies with DS. I have a cousin with DS and they rub me the wrong way. A lot of them seem like caricatures. But a lot of people seem to like them.

5 Likes

Thank you all! You are so kind. You just convinced me that I need to make a Smilla for our Dancing for Downs big celebration as an auction item. I made a Bountiful Baby last year but I was just learning to make reborns and too scared to buy the higher price kits. Thank you on your compliments on my Erica…she’s a joy!

2 Likes

This picture makes me want to paint my Smilla kit. She’s still sitting there waiting to be painted. :heart_eyes:

I always try hard to make them look not so cartoonish. Stanley Oliver definitely looks cartoonish with the recommended eye size. I used smaller eyes on mine. My Stanley and Pebbles still looked a little dollish. But both kits are precious and cuddly in real life. They are ones you have to hold to fully appreciate.
Here are my babies with Downs Syndrome.

4 Likes

Katrina your babies are some of the nicest ones I’ve seen in those kits! You do beautiful work!

2 Likes