Does anyone use Flesh 08 for their skin tones?

Hi there! Does anyone use the Flesh 08 color on their Caucasian babies? If so, what order do you do it in? By this, I mean do you do it layers or washes over other colors? The primary method is ok but I would like to be able to use my flesh 08 color. I guess what I mean is does anyone do it like for example:
1.) Veins
2.)Undertones
3.) Flesh 08
Thanks,
Julie

2 Likes

I rarely ever use the light flesh coloring but when I do it is in very thin layer to tone down over mottling or blend saturated coloring more.

3 Likes

I use flesh 08 for all my Caucasian babies then when I am completely done if I decide I don’t want that pale of a baby I do a wash or two. This is approx my order (have fun)

1. flesh 08 (seals vinyl too)
  2. mottle color (vein blue)
  3. mottle color (blood red)
  4. veins ( I use the vein blue mottle to kinda guide some of the veins)
  5. mottle color (a purple with a strong blue purple leaning)
  6. mottle color (brick red)
  7. undertones I use a clean cobalt blue or vein blue as well as some purple
  8. blushing (all)
  9. textural blushing etc
  10. fine details
  11. a yellow wash on nose
    Flesh 08 is almost the exact color as the bountiful baby vinyl so no color correction needed
6 Likes

Thank you! Does this work on the pale, bountiful baby kits? also what mottle colors and undertones do you use?

2 Likes

When I first began I used a lot of flesh 08 and 07 because that’s how I learned in a tutorial. The past four years I have begun using flesh 06 through 08 only as a beginning layer on top of the vinyl. Then I use primary colors and different color washes in between mottling layers and veins and other details. I color correct with washes. Flesh layers can end up covering up and toning down mottling and other details and colors.

3 Likes

I updated the list above I also agree a flesh 08 layer can soften mottling and or undertones use it all over or only on targeted problem area

4 Likes

Thanks so much ladies!

2 Likes

Here is my current wip

12 Likes

Looking good!

1 Like

I use flesh 8 after I do all my mottle layers. I use a reverse mottle sponge. It really makes the mottle layers pop.

4 Likes

what does that sponge look like?

Do you use Flesh 08 as a skin tone layer?

I also used to use flesh 08 as a final layer when I first start painting because that’s what the tutorials I was following said to do. But all my babies looked very… painted? They would either get chalky or didn’t look translucent at all. Now I almost never use it and I primarily make light Caucasian babies. When I do use it now it’s only as a light mottle layer if I want to, to highlight sometimes or a light layer if I over mottle or my veins are too dark, but I never use it as a final layer. It’s been my experience that it just doesn’t look as natural to me as using the primary method. I will use it first though if I have darker or super oily vinyl, it gives a good base, just not a good finish.

3 Likes

I thought I would use it because the tutorials I had also used it. I use it to make a pinky wash or add it to another flesh tone to do the white speck mottle, but not on its own. I make fair skinned babies, but I still do not use this for some reason.

3 Likes

Same here. I can look at a baby and tell if it has light flesh in the layers because the skin tone has an opaque flat look to it. That is just some people’s style and some folks can still produce a very lovely baby using that method but it is not how I like my painting to look.

3 Likes

I’ve done this with flesh color, too, and I like the look. I think it adds depth.

1 Like

I ask again, what does a reverse mottle sponge look like?

1 Like

This is what I call a reverse mottle… an outtie instead of an innie…

13 Likes

Ah ok. So you pluck cracks, not holes.

5 Likes

Pimples instead of dimples

6 Likes