Do you use Varnish?

After you’re finished painting, do you use Matte or Satin?
Do you NEED to use any of these? Why or why not?

2 Likes

I use matte. I like the finished feel of the doll with it and it keeps them from getting shiny. Shiny dolls don’t look good to me so I varnish.

4 Likes

That’s what I was thinking.
Do you have to paint with varnish after you’ve done detail?

1 Like

Yes! I cannot wait to see your first baby, you are asking all the right questions!

1 Like

I use an air dry matte varnish.

1 Like

I use heat set matte varnish
it gives some texture to the vinyl and prevents paint from wearing off
also takes away shine

2 Likes

Thank you for the encouragement! <3

1 Like

I have heat set matte in my cart. I don’t want a shiny baby. Lol. Question? The Aleen’s paper glaze is for only the lips and nails, could I use varnish on that as well or that’s a no no?

1 Like

when I first started I tried the satin varnish for lips
i would say it’s a no no

1 Like

I use a mix of satin and matte and a tint of color that matches the skin tone.

Then I usually use decoart soft touch varnish (air dry) and a pinch of corn starch (to matte) and pounce it on… I dont do it on every doll but I do on most

4 Likes

Thank you for the advice ladies!

1 Like

I just finished my second baby. The first one i did not varnish at all and it is a bit shiny on the hands and feet. The second I vanished with a mixture of “look alive” thinning medium and matte varnish a 50/50 mix. I really like the way it turned out. No shine and a nice texture, not rough.

1 Like

Do you have a picture?

1 Like

Sorry I don’t have one now, but I will take one when I get home from work.

Uploading… here is a photo of the one I varnished. I gave the other one to my grand daughter so I no longer have that one. This one has a texture that feels more like skin and not slick plastic