Do u get offended

I took 3 to an office once to show my MIL’s coworkers. One of the doctors that is an acquaintance said “Oh that’s terrifying- I’ve seen too many babies in caskets looking just like that!” She wouldn’t touch it or hold it, which is fine. I certainly don’t think my babies look like they belong in a casket. I think some people like to create a scene for attention. I can see it being triggering for someone like her, but her reaction wasn’t a triggered reaction, so much as a loud joking type of exclamation. She did say I do a great job, but nobody else seemed to be bothered. My great friend, who is an OBGYN and has seen way too much sadness, likes my babies the most! I know everyone is different but if you pay attention to the ones that say they look “dead” they seem to be showing off in front of others (in my experience).

2 Likes

There is one artist (not on here that I know of) that makes her babies have a solid blue forehead. To me, they are disturbing, but she seems unaware, and her babies are beautiful aside from this fact. I’ve pondered writing her because the babies don’t sell quickly and I’m sure this is why, but I don’t want to offend.

2 Likes

I’ve had creepy freaking me out dead babies - I love it, you know that is what I strive for. :rofl::cold_face::ghost:

3 Likes

I’m sorry :confused: I’m here if you ever need to talk!

My fam says they’re creepy!

Awww so sorry! People just don’t think sometimes before they speak.

1 Like

I brought my reborn Karly to work one day and one of my coworkers said “…she looks like a dead baby.” I asked her how can a sleeping baby look dead to someone. What happened in your life where an image of a dead baby mimics a sleeping baby. My coworker informs me that she lost a baby. Looking at my sleeping reborn reminded her of how her baby looked in her final moments.

Im very opened minded when it comes to people’s emotions and I can empathize with her. And, also understand that she’s still coping with the lose. No offense taken but my initial facial expression was like “really girl”!

2 Likes

@Lslusher1 Congratulations on you Evelyn sale! See, most people love your babies. Ignore the other ones :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well I’m glad I just read your post. I hadn’t checked Reborn. Com.

1 Like

About decade ago I went to a doll show and all the reborns there looked very grey and frankly dead. If anything, my dolls at those times looked rather well blushed, and nobody ever told they look dead. But, if somebody would say something like that, I would have a good look at my work to see how I could to make the skin tone more life like.
So, no, i would not get offended.

1 Like

I make and collect alternative reborns, though my newest one I just made (the angel) is close to human, and the vampire too (pop his teeth off and he’s human). I’ve not really had anything too negative about them or even the little albino werewolf. Sometimes they get called creepy cause they look so life like but most people want to hold them and tell me how beautiful they are and they’re truly fascinated by them. And someone who is just a newbie, that makes me feel really good.

My first one was the little green zombie. I only had one negative comment about her and it was on a site for goth folks, as I’m a goth chic. Someone thought it was a stillborn baby that I dressed up and was taking photos of. I got told I was sick and disgusting but once I explained what it was, people loved it. Then everyone wanted it and she eventually sold.

I have a grey WerePup made by Asia Eriksen that people love but called cute and creepy. People with the “Toby” sculpt, which mine happens to be has a smushy face which makes people think it looks like a real monkey. People in the WerePup community with a Toby WerePup quite often get upset by their WerePups getting called a monkey. I kinda understand it, my Remus gets mistaken for a monkey often. But I use it as a teachable moment about WerePups and reborns in general.

As others have said, I take it as a compliment when people call my babies creepy in a way. Means I did a good job. But its truly an honour when my babies are mistaken for real babies, that makes me feel like a true artist, even though I’m just some nobody newbie.

1 Like

ahaha… yeah, … my son calls them “dead babies” all the time. He’s 27 years old and makes off hand comments. It’s fine, I’m fine, … I’m usually oblivious to insults of any kind anyway. Not consciously, but that’s how I’ve always been.

Oh… besides, Art is subjective and interpreted by the viewer in many different ways, right? If you get a reaction, even if it’s not one you’re going for, be happy it’s a reaction at all!

2 Likes

My husband calls them my dead baby collection. Whatever.
You don’t like?
DONT LOOK!

2 Likes

So agree. I have the same thoughts. And how can a doll be dead? It was never alive to begin with. It’s just a likeness of a real baby. My Uncanny Valley is not very deep. LOL

1 Like