Do I need to matte again?

Anyone know what causes this white chalkiness? I varnished yesterday with matte and look alive and left it overnight. Just baking now. Should I varnish again?

I had that problem when I was using pan pastels to crease and shade. Not sure if you use those! But I never had the problem again after I stopped using them

1 Like

I used Genesis on this one. I searched and read that double baking sometimes helps. Worked for me! :heartpulse::heartpulse:

2 Likes

You never want to leave varnish to “fully” dry. You will certainly end up with chalkiness. Leave to dry until it is no longer shiny so maybe about 10-15 minutes then bake right away.

When this happens, mix a little thinning medium with odorless thinner and bake twice. This should take the chalkiness away.

I always bake my varnish 3 times to ensure it is fully cured usually for 10 minutes as well.

5 Likes

Ohhh gotcha! I usually never leave it. Must be why. Thanks

1 Like

Much better

2 Likes

SpecialMoments is correct. The few times I let it sit for more than an hour or two, or overnight, I had chalkiness. Seems the matte doesn’t like to dry out completely.

2 Likes

That’s wacky! :crazy_face:

1 Like

If you bake while it is still moist, it will be shiny… Fine balance…

3 Likes

Yeah, I usually wait about 30 minutes and then bake.

2 Likes

Thanks everybody! :heartpulse::heartpulse:

1 Like