Decoart Varnish?

So today I’ve been introduced to something called DecoArt varnish, and I watched a video online and it looks like it’s really nice, but she said she mixes it with a whole bunch of other stuff, so if you use it what do you mix it with and how do you apply it?

1 Like

I use it, the DecoArt Soft Touch Matte Varnish (in a blue metallic label jar).

I mix it with about 25% Golden Acrylic Glazing Liquid Satin, and 25% GHSP Satin Varnish.

I brush it on with a 2" wide synthetic flat brush and immediately pounce it off with a smooth (but tear off the edges) cosmetic wedge. Work in small sections, for instance the lower leg, then the upper leg, etc. Do not paint it on the feet directly or the hands as it can get into crevices and not get pounced. Just pounce it on in those areas.

Bake it on 265 for 10 minutes. Do this two or three times cooling in between. Apply another layer if you want. You bake it because of the satin varnish. You can leave it out and not bake. And baking can remove the texture from the sponge because it kinda settles out. So if you like the texture to stay, dont add the Genesis Satin Varnish. Just omit it.

IF you are doing caucasain babies, add in the BAby FX matting powder if you have some just a tad. Or some other matting powder because it has a slight slight sheen. For AA babies, I think that the sheen looks dewy and perfect for them because you can naturally see more oils on a real AA baby.

1 Like

I use Americana Soft Touch Varnish with the lavender label. It’s also made by DecoArt. I don’t mix it with anything. I stir it well and use it right out of the jar. I very thinly brush it on a small section at a time then pounce the heck out of it. I do the entire doll twice. It leaves a smooth finish with the tiniest bit of sheen just like real skin has.

4 Likes

You can use it straight from the jar…
I like to add a matting agent since it does leave a bit of a dewy finish. I also add paint to give that final “pop”

3 Likes

Summer do you bake it afterward. I’ve wondered if you add paint to it should you babe it.

1 Like

Where can you find this?

I got mine from Walmart online.

2 Likes

Michaels

I use air dry paint so no baking for me but, if you use GHSP it may be best to just add the extra layer of paint prior to your varnish. I’m not sure how well the Soft Touch Varnish bakes :thinking:

I’d like to try this varnish. Which should I buy, purple or blue label? I’m confused, lol.

1 Like

I cannot speak for the purple label, but I really like the metallic blue label. I think the purple (using the search function here) I read that it can cause a shiny baby? IDK.

1 Like

It can handle baking very well :slight_smile: So yes you could mix some flesh color paint in it :slight_smile:

2 Likes
4 Likes

yep thats the stuffs :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use the purple one. My babies aren’t shiny.

2 Likes

I use the blue one with the matting powder added. My matting powder has been discontinued, but it can still be bought at this time. (Baby FX) I need to go order a whole bunch!

2 Likes

DO you know where I can buy the matting powder

What’s the difference between the ultra matte and soft touch?

Mostly the feel, I think. The soft touch leaves a smooth finish. The others can be pretty rough.

1 Like

Ok, I’m going to try them both I ordered soft touch in purple cause I couldn’t find it in blue, and ultra matte in blue