Darker skin tones

I am just finishing up Aisha. For some reason I felt like she needed to have some darker skin tones. She has a very Asian vibe to me but I just kept going darker. Then I realized I may have done about three darker flesh layers than I needed to. She went from beautiful Carmel to meh…may have been a little too much blue in my brown? She photographs beautifully but in person (maybe it’s my lighting) she looks a little ashy.

I added some peach but it is naturally opaque so it didn’t help, wiped it off.

She is lovely but… she isn’t a boo-boo baby but…

You know what I mean?

Ever paint a baby that just didn’t turn out the way you imagined or you kept painting when you should have stopped?

I could make her a circus baby but I have been waiting so long to paint her.

Decisions???

Maybe I will just take a couple days away and see if I am just over analyzing.

Grrrrr…

10 Likes

I’ve done this many times and the only solution I’ve found is to go even darker. I add shading, and make the old skin color part of the highlighted areas on the face. But I’m sure she’s not that bad! I’d love to see her!

6 Likes

Can we see her?

3 Likes

That!

5 Likes

Do you ever use pan pastels? That might help.

1 Like

Have you tried doing a yellow wash to warm her up a bit and see how you like her after that?

1 Like

Show her :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I’m thinking yellow wash or even maybe a red oxide wash?

1 Like

Did you decide to continue on…or taking a break from her?

2 Likes

I ended up making her a circus baby. I think she was fine I just over worried, once I get there I just can’t feel good about it. I love the way she turned out as a circus baby. I will post some photos when I do a photoshoot.

Thank you everyone for the input.

2 Likes

Cant wait to see her :heart:

I will be doing circus baby photo shoots Tuesday. I am so excited to get your Holly sculpt, no idea wha I a going to do but it is going to be fun. I may ask you to name her, I love all the names you chose for your children, you have a talent for it.

2 Likes