Creases - nightmare - new idea possibly

I know we all have a battle with creases, but I can’t stand when artist put all these little tiny lines that are supposed to be creases and all they do is collect paint and look dirty. So these 2 feet belong to Yalel and I’m ready to strip this kit because of these tiny creases as you can see I started to strip on 1 foot but not the other. I was wondering if anybody had the idea of filling the creases in with polymer clay just to give the. Foot a smoother look . I’m thinking about trying it but I’m scared to try it on this kit because it’s a limited edition. I noticed a lot of the real boards have all these creases to and they just seem to collect paint and look dirty

1 Like

There is a vinyl putty, although I’ve heard of it used for repairs, no idea if anyone has decided to smooth feet with it. :thinking:

1 Like

I have modified vinyl dolls successfully with polymer clay–added eyelids, re-sculpted a couple mouths) years late they are still fine. I’m trying it right now with an ol leg- ill update soon :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The newer realborn kits have a gazillion tiny creases in thier hands and feet and it is my nemesis! I have so many babies that are fine otherwise and then you look at their hands and feet and they gross me out :rofl::rofl::rofl: so yes, I feel your pain! I’m not sure filling them would help though cause it might create more tiny lines unless sanded super smooth. I’d definitely experiment on a less desirable kit though :wink:

2 Likes

@BethRN I’ll be interested to see your modifications. Because polymer clay turns in to plastic when baked can you feel the difference between the vinyl and the clay?

1 Like

no if you use fine grits sand paper- also I use clay that has slight bending properties. it adheres to the clay nicely

1 Like

Interesting. That was my next question, so no adhesive needed.

1 Like

That’s ridiculous. It’s like they can’t keep from cutting in creases like we can’t stop painting sometimes. I hate creasing. Looking forward to your results.

1 Like

OK so keep in mind it’s a really old piece of vinyl that has been through the ringer and I did this really really quickly and the clay color doesn’t even match so I just you know put some powders on it just to show you the result of just being you know pretty sloppy so I think you can achieve pretty good results with this method
The first picture is when I just pulled it out of the oven without any kind of coloring

The second two are I just put some powder cheating on it

2 Likes

It looks like it would solve the problem. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

When there are that many creases I do not try to paint them all. Just blushing over the foot will naturally shade in darker on those areas. Using powders is another way to blush shade them more subtly if you like that method.

5 Likes

That looks really good. Thanks for sharing the photo.

1 Like

We used to have a young lady on this forum that did a lot of ‘experimenting’ with polymer clay on the vinyl babies------She was very knowledgeable (is now a sculptor) and her outcome was (every time): It does not hold up well on the dolls long term. So, if you are going to do this and sell the baby I would recommend that you definitely disclose where it was used on the baby. JMO. @BethRN

I hear ya- I have never had an issue but all my buyers know if I modify anything- I don’t know that I would do this- it was just an idea

1 Like

I agree with you, I don’t like the creasing on those feet- the way it’s sculpted- it is too criss cross

I’ve been doing this for years, so I can tell you that it works, (but I use air dry paint) so I don’t know how it works if it’s baked… I use prisma pencil to fil in creases and smooth with a wet paint brush. The color I use is Black Raspberry.

almacollage

3 Likes

Thank you ! I may try that- your babies are beautiful!!

I do the same. I only crease a few of the large ones, but I don’t worry about all the little ones.

1 Like