Closing open-eyed kits? Help please? :)

Thanks for your help, Starr! :slight_smile:

No I always bake first…I do the hair second to the last step…eyes and lashes are my last step then glue everything… :smile:

1 Like

It looks like it’s going to work, Izzy. Cool!

1 Like

Very welcome and looking really good…I will look forward to hearing how it goes…will be very interesting to know… the thing I love about you Izzy is that you are blatantly honest…very tactful and kind but shoot straight so I know when you give us the outcome on something it will be accurate…and you come up with some very innovative ideas… :smile:

1 Like

westerstarr…i assumed the baby you redid with puff under the eyes had hair before you redid or maybe not?..did you change the hair too?
Just wondered how baking with hair left the hair. same or frizz.

Thanks everyone!

Starr, thanks so much for your help…that is one of the things I love about YOU…you are willing to help me and everyone else here anytime. :slight_smile:

The reason I asked about this is because I am getting a baby made by one of my favorite artists. And I was talking to her about maybe modifying a kit for her to paint but we weren’t sure how it’d work. I think it would work but I’m still worried about the eyelids popping off as soon as rooting starts! :laughing:

1 Like

Oh mercy…I never thought about that…hahaha! I would think she would need to make sure she roots into vinyl and not the clay…I will DEFINITELY be waiting to hear how that goes…

I just reborn the kit as per normal… I bought the kit and hated the gouged out creases…they looked like an old man to me so I actually did my first coats of mottling and deep creases etc and cooked Then I added the clay into the creases and smoothed it and sort of shaped it to a natural curve, etc and cooked. then did my flesh coats…detail coats, matte/satin varnish (cooking between all layers) then I rooted the hair as per normal, then put on the lashes and glued everything as per my normal reborning techniques so really the only thing I did different with this one was to add the clay to the kit and re-sculpt under the eyes… :smile:

PS, I have baked with the hair on others before though and it can be done…I normally coat the hair with hair conditioner and water, then pull a sock or stocking over the hair just to keep it in place…then when I take it out and it cools, I run just the hair under a tap to remove the conditioner like you would do if you were at a hairdressers…then dab dry with a towel, give it a spray of regular spray conditioner and style…never had any problem with frizz when I have had to do it that way… :smile:

1 Like

Well what I meant by that is when you’re rooting, the whole vinyl head caves in a bit and bends but the clay wouldnt and I think it would just crack under the pressure lol. Eyelashes would be an issue too but I could
Probably work around that one.

If that’s the case then I’ll need to pick a different already sleeping kit. :frowning:

Well for anyone wondering, it can be done. Just make sure your clay is very, very soft so it blends well and use the tiniest amount of clay–just enough to cover the eye part with the tiniest layer of clay. At this point I’m still deciding whether or not I’m willing to risk it though cause I do want rooted hair and eyelashes for this baby.

2 Likes

All I know is that you should avoid baking the clay too much otherwise it will crack (it will have a greater chance anyways)

I think you would be able to root hair…I don’t normally squish the doll head when I root…you stuff mine firm so that there isn’t much movement and if you use a hair rooting pillow it tends to take the pressure off anything getting squished…being that you’re having to do a very thin layer…that may present a problem…It looks great though!..Wonder if lashes could be rooted after the first cook or second cook if you were to keep the needle pressure more toward the bottom vinyl if you were really careful…If it were 'hardy adult mohair" or human hair for the lashes, it would possibly hold up through the cooks…Now you’ve got me curious Izzy…lol

2 Likes