Chalky

Hi there! I just gave my toddler his first wash. But on his torso after baking there is some white chalky substance. I think this comes from baking too long or hot? But I baked his limbs and head the same time and they don’t seem to have the problem. Is it because the vinyl is a little thinner than the head and limbs? Should I bake it separately from the others for a little less? I’m not overly concerned because it is just a doll for my personal collection but I’d like to know so I can fix whatever I am doing wrong. Thank you all!

Did you use matte varnish on it? It looks like varnish that has not been cured completely.

2 Likes

That is the odd thing. All I used was a thin light blue wash. Maybe the wash just didn’t set right- maybe my oven didn’t get hot enough… Picking up an oven thermometer tomorrow.

Or maybe I didn’t pounce it as well as I thought?

I would never bake without a thermometer. Is the kit new from a dealer or is it off 2nd hand market? I know sometimes you can buy a kit from someone else who may have primed it with varnish or stripped the kit and not even know. Could be the paint was too thick also. Sorry I’m not much help.

1 Like

No he is brand new from MacPherson’s . And it was a really thin wash. As I said it’s not horrible or anything but I just want to know what I’m doing wrong. The thermometer will make me feel better too. I’ll get that and give him another go. :slight_smile:

1 Like

And thank you for your help!

1 Like

I’ve noticed with my air dry paints if I mix my paint too thin it dries chalky. Maybe that’s it?

You did not mop up excess paint well enough. Get some 100% propyl alcohol and rub the white off.

2 Likes