Casa

Hey guys!
I just wanted to put out a request for anyone who may be interested.
I do a lot of volunteer work and I’m involved in a few different non-profit organizations. The most important one I am involved in is, CASA. CASA stands for Court Appointment Special Advocate. There are many children in foster homes and a CASA is appointed by a judge in the most extreme cases of child abuse or neglect. They are assigned to certain cases to be the eyes and ears of the judge, and be the voice of the child. They review and investigate each case they are given and work the case until the child is no longer in the system. As a CASA, we work very closely with the child/ children in our case, making their well being our main concern. We advocate for rights and become their voice throughout their process. We attend all of their court dates, etc. A CASA is extremely important and in some cases, A CASA may be the only thing these kids have going for them. Not every foster home is pleasant.
Any how, I’d love to donate a couple of dolls to the CASA office. These dolls would be available to the children who really need it the most, and it would be at the CASA supervisors discretion of who they would go to. She is the only one who knows every case and their details. Due to confidentiality and protection for the children involved, we only know our own case.
There is no time limit, as a donation can be made at anytime. Maybe a boo boo baby, or mini baby that you wouldn’t mind donating. But if donating a boo-boo baby, please remember these are children who have been abused in every way possible. These are children who have been given to the state in some cases because their parents didn’t want them. These are children who have been in foster home after foster home, and have never had a real home or any kind of stability. These are children who deserve something nice and special.
I would love to be able to donate every doll I make, but it’s just not financially possible. So I’m reaching out to anyone who may be interested.
I’m thinking to start, I’ll have the dolls shipped to me, and then I’ll personally deliver them to Mrs. Bonnie ( CASA Supervisor) so I’ll know the doll is going to whom it needs to. If you need some sort of proof I’ve given the doll to CASA, I’d be more than happy to provide that.
I’m still ironing out the details of this project, but I’d love for it to be an ongoing thing. It could be a doll of any sort really. I used to donate my little rag dolls and they were just as loved. I just prefer them to be a handmade doll and nothing store bought. These custom dolls, are given as something special to the child and it’s just not the same with a store bought doll. These dolls could provide comfort and security to these kids in need, and I think this would be a wonderful project.
Thank you for reading my long post, and considering my request. You can message me with any questions. And please know, I know not everyone will be able to donate a doll. I completely understand that. CASA hopefully is around to stay forever, so you have plenty of time to make a donation at a later time if you are ever in a position to do so. :blush:
Tessa.

P. S. I have attached a picture of my CASA badge just to confirm my standing with them. I hid my face though because my picture is horrible lol.

13 Likes

Shipping the dolls could be very costly, but you have made me want to see if there is a local CASA office, that maybe I could donate some dolls to.

2 Likes

That would be great if you could even do that.im sure they would love that.
Depending on the cost of the shipping, I may be able to get donations for that too. I’ll look into it.

I do know that our CASA office agreed to advertise on their FB page for anyone who donated. So that’s a good thing too.

2 Likes

Cuddle babies would be great for this. Less time, less money, more snuggles :two_hearts:

7 Likes

They would if we could ever find heads lol.
I wouldn’t mind even receiving painted kits and assembling it here to cut down on shipping cost.

I’ll figure something out. I’m working with a few groups who are giving some great ideas. Our parish has the highest rate of children in the Foster care than any other parish in Louisiana. Probably more than many other states. Last I checked, we had close to 300 kids without homes. Such an alarming number. If you guys only knew what you these kids have endured. It’s heart breaking. I have three siblings in my case and they have been through so much.

Idk. I’ve always had the “If you give, you shall receive” mentality. I’m not even working at the moment and I still try to give all I can to those in need.

4 Likes

First of all let me say that I am so impressed with your honorable volunteering, Tessa. I am curious since I don’t know much about foster homes here in USA. Are children allowed to have their own things that they ‘carry’ from one foster home to another? Reborn is not a small thing to have or to carry and also require clothes, as well as gentle care. Or perhaps I didn’t understand how you are planning to give them away.

1 Like

Those are all good questions @YelenaRey.
We visit or CASA kids. We are required to see them at least once every 30 days. We also talk to them on the phone etc.
What happens is, the state removes children from their homes for many different reasons. Neglect, physical, sexual and emotional abuse. Every reason imaginable. They are then given a social worker who works their case. Social workers have many cases and though they do an amazing job, their job is mainly legality and their time is split between many kids. They follow the states laws. A lot of children get lost in the system. They fall in the cracks and just because they are in the care of the state, that doesn’t necessarily mean they are safe and taken care of.
This is where CASA comes in. A judge will look at a case and decide that a child needs a CASA and will then appoint one to that specific child. CASA is usually appointmented in the most severe cases. A CASA will do almost everything a social worker does, including have the rights to visit the child’s doctors, teachers, foster homes, paternal parents etc. But their main concern is to listen to the child. We talk to the kids. Observe their environment. We listen and advocate for their needs and we relay everything back to the judge and lawyers involved. It’s a lot of work. You are hands on with your child from day one. My kids just moved out of state and I still have to visit them being they are still belong to our jurisdiction.
They are allowed to bring their clothes and belongings. But in most cases, these kids have been neglected and don’t have anything. They have never had a Christmas, never had a bday party, or never had anything nice done for them.
Anytime we give gifts to our children, we bring them ourselves during one of our visits.
Most foster homes are amazing. They love it when we bring our kids gifts. They spoil their foster children too. Some foster homes have many children and they really only provide food and a bed because the foster parents can’t afford anything more, or they are in it for the wrong reasons.
I could go on and on but a CASA worker would not give anything to a child that they know they would not be able to keep. That would be very wrong for us to do.
Eventually the kids are either placed back with their parents after their parents have completed whatever it is they need to do to get their kids back, or they are adopted by loving families.

So when you think of all of this, and you think about a special gift you are able to give to a child who has nothing and provide them with something that brings comfort and happiness, it’s really a no brainer to me. Reborns are used as therapy dolls for many different things. Why not for children?

I have two boys and a little girl in my case. They are the sweeetest most precious kids. The little girl loves dolls and every time I visit her, she’s holding the little rag doll I made her.
I will also point out that CASA volunteers usually keep in touch with their children even after they are out of the system. We become their mentors, friends, family, etc.

CASA is so so important and what the organization does is amazing. My best friend is the president of the CASA in our jurisdiction so I’ve seen more than most. We are always trying to find ways to help these kids in any way we can.

9 Likes

Thank you, Tesa, for your detailed explanation. That also sound s like a full time job :+1:

2 Likes

I gave all my first 5 dolls I made to children in foster care. One little girl who has been adoptrd now still has her doll, she is 12 years old now. She told me the doll was her comfort for her through some rough times and she will always treasure the doll I gave her.

9 Likes

It is…
Due to my current health issues, as soon as my kids are adopted in this case, which should be soon, I will have to give up my role as an actual CASA, but I will still do my part in other ways such as this. We hold many fundraisers etc. so I will do my part with those things. I just don’t want to take on another case just yet until I know I can give 100%. It really is a lot of work. And there is no pay involved. Even the judges who are involved in family court are volunteers. They don’t get paid either. I never knew that until I became a part of CASA.

2 Likes

That is so nice to hear. When you give a child who doesn’t have anything something, even of little value, they appreciate and cherish it so much.
I can sell a doll but the feeling I get of giving in cases like this, has the most reward and pay back of all. It makes it all the hard work worth it.

2 Likes

I wondered the same thing. Do we have one here.

1 Like

This is in Louisiana? I could bring it to you? Unfortunately there are too too too many children in Louisiana in foster care. I do agree with that. Where in LA?

1 Like

Yes it is in Louisiana. You could bring it to me, or straight to our CASA office. I could also meet you half way if need be.

In some areas CASA’s are referred to as a Guardian ad litem. So if anyone is researching in their areas, they may want to look for that name too.

1 Like

Iberia Parish. We are the CASA of the 16th JDC

That is a great idea, Tessa!

I will see what I can do on my end

1 Like

Thank you! :blush:

I’m going to check around my location too bc I would love to partner with them. I know I have signed up to be volunteer at the infant crisis center opening here.
I would love to send one to you all as well. Is it preferable to leave out the magnet for pacifiers?

1 Like

I didn’t know we lived that close . I liver in Plaquemine Iberville parish. I’ll try to make one for you. Maybe we can meet up on a Saturday. We go to Henderson camping all the time and I’m not far from Morgan City. I’m really slow though I work In Baton Rouge everyday.reborning is a hobby.

1 Like

I don’t think a magnet would be an issue. They could always make sure the home each doll is going to is going to the right home.

CASA always needs volunteers for something. At least I know ours does. They would be happy to have you in any way you could volunteer!

1 Like