Can high flow acrylics be used on reborns?

Hi there everyone! I am wondering if anyone has used the Golden high flow acrylics on their dolls? Is it similar to using the Golden fluid acrylic paints? I got this color at Michael’s this evening to help me paint pinky newborn skin:

Thanks,
Julie

2 Likes

Yes, they can be used just like the fluid acrylics. I believe most of them tend to have a bit more sheen. That color is going to be very bright so be careful. It is a flourescent so more of a fantasy pink than a natural one.

3 Likes

I don’t think so…because I was told folkart air dry acrylics was the best, apple barrel is pretty much the same

They can, I accidentally ordered a bottle back when I used golden. They are exactly like golden fluids but are fluorescent. I tried mine and even very thin you could tell they were fluorescent, and like Angie said they have more sheen, so not great for regular babies, but would be really awesome for alternatives!

1 Like

While they have been used by some, Folk Art and other craft grade acrylics are not the best paint to use to paint a baby. Craft grade paints are NOT artist grade pigments that pass light fastness standards for longevity. Lightfastness refers to how the pigments in the paint interact with light and it is a measurement of a pigment’s ability to resist fading or discolouration under normal circumstances. This is with any type of sunlight or ultraviolet light. Craft grade paints contain a high ratio of fillers in them and a lower pigment load thus leading to a higher chance of fading over time. The added fillers can also lead to cracking/peeling paint if applied too thickly or in too many layers on the doll. I myself would be very upset to pay the prices we charge for a reborn doll only to find out it had been painted with craft grade paints. I highly recommend not doing that. There are good artist grade paints out there at affordable prices so there is no need to skimp on quality.

8 Likes

As fluorescent as it is, I could probably add white to it to tone it down.

1 Like

Go ahead and try it on a test limb first! Show your results!

1 Like

I paint with high flow (but not on babies, I use Golden for work). It is rich in pigment but thin, like ink. It is awesome in an airbrush. Golden is one of the best professional acrylic paints out there in my opinion, it is my top shelf paint in my studio, it is also one of the most expensive (I buy big containers).

I would be careful about diluting it, it is very strong and it can stain your vinyl most especially very strong colors.

I think people recommend folk art and apple barrel paints because they are very easy to find, very inexpensive. The have good adhesive qualities if you prime. I don’t use them because they don’t have great pigment, they are opaque, very milk and get muddy. With the kind of work I do I like to mix my own colors using premium pigment but I also use housepaint, chalk paint, and a lot of crap acrylic (student grade liquitex) if I find a color I really love.

If you are going to use acrylic on babies don’t spend money on Golden, not sure it is worth it if you can get a tube of the Folk art for 2 bucks.

Experiment on test limbs before you use it on a baby you love.

1 Like

I usually use Golden fluid acrylics, waterborne, ultimate fusion or Rebornfx for painting with air dry. I’ve heard folkart fades.

1 Like