Can anything be done?

Thanks I will have to try that!

1 Like

Those who repair holes in vintage vinyl dolls use something called Artminds Foam or something like that. I will try to get the exact name. It is more flexible than air dry clay and they say feels more like vinyl I have not personally used it.

2 Likes

I found something called Acrylic Modeling Paste. I wonder if it could work:
https://www.amazon.com/Liquitex-Professional-Modeling-Paste-Medium/dp/B000KNLGGY?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

I also read of a lady who used Gloss Super Heavy Gel to fix an old vinyl doll at this link:Before and After Baby: a tutorial on how to fill holes in vinyl dolls

1 Like

This is an air dry product that might work. 3D Air Dry Medium

Honestly, I think a thick matte gel medium would work too.

1 Like

Maybe it won’t show up if you make a darker skin baby. Or some type of fantasy baby. Like a fairy with darker color in those areas, or an avatar one.

1 Like

This is a SOLE kit. I, personally, wouldn’t want to use it as an alternative if it was in any way salvageable but it’s a good suggestion.

3 Likes

Thank you :blush: would liqutiex ultra matte gel work? I have some of that.

I agree, I was planning to do her as a newborn skin tone. Like the red/pinky/purply look. I could also do her as a darker skin baby. She would be for me.

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestion :slight_smile: I could make her a darker skin doll. I’m not as into alternative dolls.

1 Like

You’re welcome :blush:

If it is the ultra matte gel it says not to use it alone. It is because it has so much matting agent in it. But you can add a little of whatever other medium you have to it and try it.

1 Like

Thanks Angie!

The product I mentioned is called Artminds Modeling Foam, but this would be good only if you needed to fill a hole or something. What you are dealing with looks different than what I have encountered.

1 Like

I would give the kit a nice long hot water, bleach and dawn soak, then grab a tooth brush and go at it. I think scubbing and soaking the inside would be helpful too. There may have been moisture trapped somewhere.

If this is mildew on vinyl it should come off. I own three boats (it sounds impressive but it isn’t) Each has its own mold issue. I have the best success with bleach for hard surfaces and for soft vinyl I have great success with simple green, I wouldn’t mix the two.

On the fiberglass bits I use a mixture of lysol toilet bowl cleaner and hydrogen peroxide. This is vile and out gasses, I would mix a tiny disposable cup full and use a toothbrush outside in fresh air. I am not sure if it would hurt the vinyl but if you have tried everything else give this a go, you have nothing to lose. DO NOT get it in your eyes and don’t use it on anything in your house, really awful concoction but it takes all the boat Yuck off super fast.

1 Like

Wow that sounds like some serious stuff!

Would bleach hurt the vinyl?

So were you able to save the kit?? @rebornmommysince2013 Julie

1 Like

I’ve been a little busy. I’m not sure about soaking it in bleach as I’m not sure if it’s safe for the vinyl. it’s just the head and belly plate that are effected. Should I try to poke the spots out with a rooting needle?

I would test things on the belly plate then once you find something that works or helps then try the head

1 Like

That’s a lot of spots, not sure you could get them all with a rooting needle. Sorry you’re having to deal with this.

1 Like