Can acrylic yarn scratch the vinyl surface?

Please forgive me for asking a question that might sound silly to some. I just received my first reborn yesterday and I don’t have any clothes for it!

I’m a pretty good crocheter (definitely not a sewist), and I was thinking I would use the soft baby yarn that is sold and crochet some clothes for my baby.

Does yarn, especially the cheaper acrylics, scratch the surface of a vinyl reborn?

Thank you!

1 Like

Soft baby yarn won’t damage the vinyl. I use it all the time.

1 Like

Acrylic yarn is made of plastic fibers. I used it once and it made my hands itch terribly so I had to toss it out. I have no idea what it would do to vinyl, but I wouldn’t take a chance.

1 Like

Yes, it will be perfectly fine.

2 Likes

I feel it would be just fine. I dressed mine in them quite often and never saw any issues.

1 Like

Make sure you use a soft yarn. I sold a doll to a crocheter and she sent her back to be revarnished- her varnish was scratched to pieces. I still don’t know what happened but it could have been rough yarn and constant clothing changes.

3 Likes

I use acrylic but never anything cheap and scratchy…hmm I guess it is something that you should take into concideration when dressing your reborns

1 Like

Thanks everyone! I’m going to err on the safe side and not used anything crocheted with the baby!

It has never hurt by reborns.

1 Like

If you use a good soft ‘baby yarn’ you will be fine.

2 Likes

If it’s ok to ask, how much is it to get a doll re-varnished?

I only did it for my customer. You would probably be looking to spend around $50 for this service, though

1 Like

Thank you. Does the re-varnishing process change the look of the doll in any way from the orginal (sp)? Forgive me if that is a silly question, but I am new to this.

I’m confused as to what I should do. I’m an AVID crochet-er and am dying to make things for my reborn since I can’t go out and shop due to the pandemic. But I also don’t want to do anything that may ruin my doll.

It just makes it less shiny. You can put anything on your baby as long as you do it with care. Just use soft yarn. The stuff she sent with her baby was definitely not meant for babies. If it would be soft enough for a real baby, there would be no issue.

1 Like

DUH! I never thought of it that way! Thank you!

I have just the yarn in mind… :grin:

1 Like

Oh please don’t stop crocheting. I only have problems with yarns that are 100% acrylic. The ones that are made with mixed fibers I have no problems with and I crochet all the time.

1 Like

Thank you! I had all sorts of ideas of what I was going to make, since I can’t really go shopping and that was one of the things I was so excited about to experience with a reborn. I’m going to make baby Remi a few caps first, I think! Thanks!

1 Like