Best starter silicone set and tutorial?

For those who got into painting silicone, is there a complete material set (paint, brushes, etc.) you would recommend? Also a tutorial? I know people get great results from the Susan Gibbs class, but I’m looking or an on demand tutorial I can just buy and not have to wait for a class.

Any other silicone info or tips would also be greatly appreciated! Photo linked of the sculpt I got to paint!

4 Likes

Lucky you! I’d love to do a silicone but they’re just out of my budget. irresistables.com has trial set of 8 pre-pigmented paints with matting powder for $99.99. weebabiesnursery has a set of 10 to go with Carolyn Doughty’s YouTube tutorial for $60. I think you’d still need finishing powder for these.

MacPherson have a starting kit too. I strongly suggest you practice (a lot) on faces and mini silicone or test pieces before doing a full kit. I think PsychoPaint and Sil-pig are not too expensive (I don’t remember how much I paid). You will need latex free sponges and cheap paint brush, and a paint solvent (Novoc is the one recommended for silicone but any brand can work).
Colors and steps are almost the same as for vinyl but the application is different.

4 Likes

MacPherson’s starter kit is out of stock but they do have those practice faces. They also have a good informational tutorial as to what supplies you’ll need. It’s just on their site. You don’t have to buy it.

1 Like

I recommend Susan’s class I wonder if you ask her if you can be added to the past classes so you don’t have to wait you would have access to all the saved lives. When I started I got all my supplies off of Amazon and I think the a&b and pigments from smooth on
I started with a cuddle head from truborns if you want a list of what I bought I can send you the names in the morning! This was my first silicone

8 Likes

That was your first? That’s amazing.

I was just going to recommend Susan’s class! I also learned things that I can apply to vinyl painting as well. She’s very thorough!

2 Likes