BB heat set paints

I purchased some of BB’s HSPs and satin varnish. I’m not liking them especially the satin, it isn’t leaving a satin finish at all and its terrible mixing it. Its enough its put me off continuing, I have 2 more kits coming but thinking after that giving it up.

1 Like

There are other brands on the market now. IRHSP by Irresistables. BCPaints by Beatriz Clements and Phoenix Heat set paints.

1 Like

yeah I looked at Irresistables ones, but postage to NZ is just too expensive, just not worth the expensive

Would any of these be better? Official PHSP distributors | PhoenixHSP

I just feel heart broken, I just used it on Sebastian and its been heat set twice its like matte and its turning white, never had that happen since using matte back when I very first started reborning back in 2014. It still feels soft, haven’t changed my settings on my oven.

I’ve just ordered some phoenix from Aussie reborn supplies cost me a fortune, but this satin is just not working looks like I’ll have to strip him

1 Like

I am so sorry! I hope the Phoenix goes better. I have not tried it but I have tried both the IRHSP and BCPaints. What I am finding to be true on these new brands is that you need to add a couple drops of their own thinning medium to the paints and then you can add your odorless or citrus thinner of choice to further thin them. Something about using their own thinning mediums in the mix aids in the paints dissolving in the mix better. Varnishes among all brands do vary. I did not like the BC Paints varnish. I have used the mediums from Xodus line and they all work well.

4 Likes

I’m going to strip Sebastian and will try the dewy skin when that arrives, or I do have some original matte left by never liked matte.

I wonder if the new mixtures react in different elevations?

I see some say the same type of stringy, non mixable stuff about some IRHSP… but they said it was the plastic jars causing it and have since changed the way they package.
I do not have any experience with the new type of heat sets yet

1 Like

I know Genesis has to be put in a certain type of jar.
The Xodus thinning medium solves all the stringy strange textures of the New Formula Genesis paints and makes them heat set properly. I have tried mixing the Xodus thinning medium into both the BCPaints and the IRHSP and it worked in those 2 brands as well. It might work in the BB paints.

6 Likes

What would we do without you and all your experiments?! :star_struck:

4 Likes

the paints were a bit weird but worked but it was the satin varnish that wasn’t good, looked matte and I heat set it 4 times and it just didn’t heat set properly, I think you can only smear a thin layer on but I prefer a skin look by pouncing a thin layer but I went to put his eyes in and it ruined the varnish obviously despite heat setting it 4 times it just wasn’t set enough.

I’ve had to strip wee Sebastian back to bare vinyl. I’ve purchased some phoenix dewy skin so will try that, but I do have old original matte left and wondered if I put some glazing gel in would that create a more satin look?

1 Like

If you do that and it works, please report back. I have a LARGE jar of Glaze….and I prefer a Satin look.

1 Like

I know that the NEW formula Genesis Satin and Glazing gel are both very glossy. Mixing the NEW Genesis Satin with the original Matte varnish does make it more true Satin. I am thinking Glazing Gel would do the same thing. I know the old formula Satin varnish mixed with old formula Matte made it more satin too.

1 Like

Are you referrring to Genesis, or BB’s these are the new BBs version I am referring to, I just used t yesterday and it was as matte as, no satin look at all but worse it wouldn’t set like the old one.

I just found I have a small pottle of the new formula satin varnish, I have used it. So I might mix a little matte into that and see how that goes.

1 Like

Yea, I have not tried the BB heat set products at all.