Bamboo Racks heat set question

I had a hard time drilling the holes with the forstner bit because this is such a hard wood, and it just doesn’t drill easily. So they came out a little bit bigger than my dowels. So my dowels are a little wobbly in the holes, but I think I can put some aluminum foil down in them to make them tighter. I have a second blank disc here, but i’m not going to drill it until I see how this position works on this one.

Edited: I went back and drilled my holes a little deeper and the pegs are staying better.Just slightly wobby now.

4 Likes

I think I would add an extender ring?

2 Likes

It has one on it but it may need another. It does not seem too close looking at it in person. I am not sure what too close would be actually. I have 2 ovens so I can use one ring off the other one if I need to.

3 Likes

I don’t know what “too close” is either. Wouldn’t hurt to test a limb!

Here is my homemade rack. I do use an extender ring. I pause about half way through the baking cycle and take them off the rack and finish baking. By that time the varnish or paint is set enough that they can finish up lying down w/ no harm done to my work. Bigger limbs back one at a time. I am using Pickles leg in one of the pics but I have done big June’s limbs this way too. I have two holes drilled at a slant and two holes in the middle for the pegs to sit straight up for heads. I have even laid belly plates across the pegs to bake.

6 Likes

I got an extra ring. Trying this out now.

Update: It works great!! I did let mine preheat before I put the pieces in. Baked them nine minutes and immediately took them out and put them on a rack to cool, and they seem fine.

4 Likes

I think it’s much safer with the 2nd ring.
Do they limp over poles while they are hot in the oven?

they are very flexible when hot and I can see where if they were left to cool that way it would leave indentations. I already knew that from putting hot pieces on my wine rack to cool though that you have to place them so the pegs are not fully supporting the weight it will do that. What I did here was put on a mask and opened the oven right away when done and got them out to cool.

2 Likes

@Jamie4707 Found it!!

Thank you! Im worried my cheap wood stand is not the right type of wood to withstand the heat. But i have to ask
@anjsmiles where did you get that colorful bottom extender ring?! Never seen something like that and its too cute!!

Nvm i see its a nifty little cloth wrap on your ring. I love that did you make it?

No, I purchased it from Carmen McNair @mcnair6

But with the extra ring I have no cover on it. The cover is great when using one ring and propping parts inside up against it.

3 Likes

I would love one of those
! If i could prop the parts up id be less worried about using a wood rack

1 Like